GCV190 engine and HRX217HYA Durability?

bblueser

Threads
Given that the GCV190 engine does not have an iron cylinder liner, ball bearings on the crankshaft, etc., how long should the engine last on an HRX217HYA mower, assuming it's used once a week on a residential lawn? Will the engine last 5-10 years, or 15-20 years, as is the case with Honda's commercial quality engines?

My neighbor has had two HRX217s and both developed rough running and hard starting problems within the first two years of use, due I assume to dirty carburetors.

Questions:
1) What is the expected lifespan of the GCV190 engine?
2) What are the main differences between the GCV190 and the commercial quality engines?
3) Is it recommended that owners install a fuel filter to keep the carb clean?
4) Assuming the carburetor stays clean, should an owner expect the engine will start easily and run smoothly for the life of the mower?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Given that the GCV190 engine does not have an iron cylinder liner, ball bearings on the crankshaft, etc., how long should the engine last on an HRX217HYA mower, assuming it's used once a week on a residential lawn? Will the engine last 5-10 years, or 15-20 years, as is the case with Honda's commercial quality engines?

My neighbor has had two HRX217s and both developed rough running and hard starting problems within the first two years of use, due I assume to dirty carburetors.

Questions:
1) What is the expected lifespan of the GCV190 engine?
2) What are the main differences between the GCV190 and the commercial quality engines?
3) Is it recommended that owners install a fuel filter to keep the carb clean?
4) Assuming the carburetor stays clean, should an owner expect the engine will start easily and run smoothly for the life of the mower?

There's no question that the Honda 190cc engine is a good engine and the nice thing the mower you're talking about has a 5 year warranty. I've used the 190cc on my CC98H in my business for the last 2 years and have never had a problem and I run it every day. :thumbsup:

Threads
There's no question that the Honda 190cc engine is a good engine and the nice thing the mower you're talking about has a 5 year warranty. I've used the 190cc on my CC98H in my business for the last 2 years and have never had a problem and I run it every day. :thumbsup:

I use the GCV190 on my Honda HRX217HYA commercially. I have had it for over 4 months, so that is equal to many years with residential use. I love it....easy starting all the time....lots of power! :thumbsup:
You wanted to compare the GCV190 with a commercial engine, but the Honda commercial engine is the 160 cc engine (correct me if I'm wrong), but you can see the differences here:
Honda RESIDENTIAL GCV190: http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gcv190
Honda COMMERCIAL GXV160: http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gxv160