GCV160 won't start without starting fluid

Jem7sk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a free Harmony II HRS216 SDA. Said it ran fine before being stored with gas in the carb for two years. I took he carb apart and cleaned it last year when I got it without really knowing anything about lawn mowers at the time. I got it to run but it will only start with starter fluid or when the engine is warm. It also now leaks gas from the carb except when fuel valve is in off position and bowl is empty. I know some gaskets tore when I cleaned it.

Do I just need to get new gaskets or do I need to also clean it better or should I just get new carb and gaskets? Also, where is the best place to purchase these items (best prices.. )?

Serial number off back deck of mower is:
MZBZ-6018310 HM

Thanks!

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the carbs leaking then either its the carb bowl seal or the the needle is not sealed and fuel is going through the main jet and coming out the filter.
I would give the carb a good clean. Main jet will be clogged.
Honda recommend a good clean with ultrasonic then use special files to clean holes.

Remove the philip screw on the top of the carb and clean.
Also remove the idle mixture screw and clean.

As for gaskets any small engine dealer should keep them.

Threads
Yep a good cleaning again, and a bowl gasket, bowl nut gasket, and a new needle with seat. You might get by with just the seat but it could be easier to buy both together as a kit, or the whole gasket kit with everything if you can find it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While you are pricing out parts for the carb, price the complete carb also. I have seen cases with Honda where the complete carb, was less the the price of the needle valve.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got a free Harmony II HRS216 SDA. ....Also, where is the best place to purchase these items (best prices.. )?

Save yourself a lot of frustration and time and simply replace the whole carburetor with a new one, as the list price is only $15.08. Crazy, but some individual parts are indeed more expensive than a whole carburetor. The float (needle) valve alone is $18.76. :confused2: I'd also go ahead and replace the three gaskets, and be absolutely sure you get them installed in the right position.

Click on the thumbnail below for the full carburetor parts list for this mower; list prices are all the way over to the right:

carbpartshrs216sda_zps984ba639.jpg

Plenty of Honda dealers sell online, but when you add in the cost of shipping for a small order like this, you'd probably get out a bit cheaper if you have a local dealer. They may even have the parts in stock. Use this link to find a dealer in your area:

Find A Honda Dealer

Have that serial number when you call to check on the parts from any dealer.

Jem7sk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone... I ordered a new carb and gaskets. Should be here soon.