Gcv 160 only run on choke

jlwoods99

Member
Ok ,it set for a few years, on my pressure washer. 8 believe I put stabill in it. Drained the fuel, started with fresh gas after several pulls but only running while choked, I assume carb needs cleaned, any idea specifically what I need to focus on when I clean it?

Thank you
Jim
 
Rivets has a point, but I've had pretty good luck pulling the bowl, cleaning float needle and seat, blowing carb cleaner through the seat, and cleaning the main jet, passages through the bowl bolt, and the passage above it. There are other passages, but that gets the main route mostly open. Make sure there's decent flow to the carb also. That along with a dose of seafoam in the tank will often get it running, and doesn't take all day.
 
AND take pics when taking the carb off. Some of them pressure washer engines have a sandwiched type of area when bolting them to the manifold, easy to take off but not user friendly re-installing and trying to keep everything sandwich aligned. The use of headless studs is a big help keeping things sandwiched to the 2 long carb bolts can be installed one at a time.
Honda replacement carbs are usually very reasonably priced.
If you pull the bowl on yours and it looks cruddy, cost of kit/parts (not counting labor) will most likely buy a replacement carb.

You might find a you tube video of such.
Also review the possibility of a fuel filter being located on the end of the gas line in the fuel tank.

If you have the tools and some mechanical knowledge, remove clean and test.
If limited tools and mechanical experience just have someone replace the carb.
 
Last edited:
I vote for pulling the carburetor off, removing the bowl carefully so the bowl seal does not get damaged, then clean the gel out that used to be stabilizer and fuel.

It is best to stay with the original carburetor if possible because the main and pilot jets have been calibrated to your motor. Aftermarket carburetors are a 50/50 if they are even remotely calibrated to your engine. (Just because it fits, does not mean that it works correctly.)

Stabilizers in fuel are not made to last an indefinite period of time. At most, I figure a year is the maximum before it starts to gel up. Heat makes it break down quicker.

Use a good carb cleaner like Chemtool B12 or NAPA brand.

James Condon on You Tube has a lot of great videos about cleaning carburetors on generators and equipment that he works on.
 
Back
Top