Gator Blade Question

Brucebotti

Threads
I just purchased a set of Gator blades for my Toro MX5060 and I am having second thoughts. With the help of a vendor, we matched one up. I just got them and the blades seem extremely heavy. I'll take one off the mower to compare. The Oregon website says that the blade is .164" thick, but I get a reading of .204". The blade on my mower is .187" thick. I didn't think going lighter would be an issue, but heavier may be a problem. Can anyone comment on this?

My other question is that the blades seem very dull compared to the originals. Are you supposed to sharpen them prior to using them?

Thanks,
Bruce

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
Your mower should be fine I am thinking that they do need to be sharpen though

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your mower should be fine I am thinking that they do need to be sharpen though

Ya everytime I buy a gatorblade I end up taking an angle grinder to it. After that I use a file twice a week

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
No you do not need to sharping them. If your putting a razor edge on your blades then your doing it wrong.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
No you do not need to sharping them. If your putting a razor edge on your blades then your doing it wrong.

Sooooo, is the "design technology" behind mulching blades inherently inclusive of a "non razor-like cutting edge" for them to do what they are designed to do???? I'm picking up a mulch kit for my Gravely at the dealer tomorrow(OEM mulching blades) and if I had gotten home and noticed that the cutting edge looked "dull" or somewhat "rounded" my first knee-jerk reaction would have been to sharpen them too:0)
Sounds like that is NOT recommended and seems to indicate they won't "perform as well' if you "sharpen them". Edumacate me Carscw as to "proper ongoing maintenance" of mulching blades versus hi-lift blades!!!

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
Sooooo, is the "design technology" behind mulching blades inherently inclusive of a "non razor-like cutting edge" for them to do what they are designed to do???? I'm picking up a mulch kit for my Gravely at the dealer tomorrow(OEM mulching blades) and if I had gotten home and noticed that the cutting edge looked "dull" or somewhat "rounded" my first knee-jerk reaction would have been to sharpen them too:0)
Sounds like that is NOT recommended and seems to indicate they won't "perform as well' if you "sharpen them". Edumacate me Carscw as to "proper ongoing maintenance" of mulching blades versus hi-lift blades!!!

They have to sharp no way around that

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you buy any blade it is ready to install.

When you sharping your blades like a razor they will dull faster. And how long do you think they stay razor sharp?

I do believe that there has been study's done to find the best angle ( pitch ) for mower blades
And just maybe they know how sharp the blade should be.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Actually, many blade makers dip them in real heavy paint, it chips off real quick, and it is very sharp underneath. It might
account for the different thickness reading as well.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
They have to sharp no way around that

Yeah....logic tells you "sharp edge = clean cut of grass blade", but user Carscw's comment had me questioning that logic(42 years in mainframe computer programming has taught me that some things indeed defy human logic....but they work:0)

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah....logic tells you "sharp edge = clean cut of grass blade", but user Carscw's comment had me questioning that logic(42 years in mainframe computer programming has taught me that some things indeed defy human logic....but they work:0)

Carscw is right you never bring a lawn mower blade to a razor sharp edge. They just dull faster and you'll have to replace blade with greater frequency.