Gasoline treatment

bstreyle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I asked a person where I go to get my lawn equipment repaired, parts etc. about treating gasoline. He says that he uses fuel stabilizer AND he also mixes one half bottle, (1.3 oz. of a 2.6 oz. bottle) of 2 cycle oil, per 2.5 gallons of gasoline. Has anyone heard of this? This gas he uses in all his lawn mowers, ATV etc. Would the oil be detrimental to anything in the engine?
Thanks, Bruce S.

Threads
I use K-100 MG+ in all my stuff ....... I sell it for 9 bux with the tax in my shop........

I don't use 2 cycle oil as a additive...... If you make a boo boo and put some weedeater gas in your mower it won't hurt it......

Maybe foul the plug a lil bit..... 2 cycle oil will not last long either for long storage,,,,,,, So you are actually defeating the purpose of putting stabilizer in the gas and then adding the oil .............

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It will not do much in the way of harm.
Too much will load up the plug with carbon and also the valve stems and possibly leave deposits under the valves.
It also reduces the amount of actual fuel that mixes with the measured volume of air making an already lean burning engine even leaner which makes it even hotter.

I see little value in doing this but others will swear by it.
My advice is to always buy small volumes of fuel so it remains fresh.
Thus for a push mower a 1 gal can would be the limit.
If the fuel is more than a couple of months old, tip it into the car and get fresh fuel.
Over winter fill the tank to overflowing then on the first mow, tip it out and put it in the car so you are using fresh fuel.

The number of variables involved with fuel going bad is massive so you can take the "i do it this way and it never fails" testimonials with a grain of salt.
Best example of this is a customer with a tin garage on the side of his house.
He is very old so he keeps the ride on closest to the house as he uses it most.
Over winter no problems with the ride o but the push mower condenses water and the fuel seperates in his tank.
Same fuel from the same station in the same can, difference is 15' apart in an uninsulated shed.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just use 100% gas, & store only enough for a month. Only additive I will use for storage is Seafoam* with fresh 100% gas.

As was pointed out, our newer engines are already running too lean, thanks to EPA yada yada..