Gasket Replacement

RayS43

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am replacing the carburetor on a Cummins/Onan engine generator that (I've been told) has a 14HP, 390CC Kawasaki engine. My question is - when replacing gaskets, is there a sealant or other product that should be used to coat the gaskets upon replacement? If so, what is the product?

txmowman

Threads
Likely no sealant is used. What model is the engine?

RayS43

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't know the model no. of the engine. At the risk of sounding like a novice (which I am), where would I find the model number? As I previously wrote, the engine is part of a Cummins/Onan portable generator, & I was told (on another forum) that although the generator is sold by Cummins/Onan, it has a Kawasaki engine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That would be a new one for me. Unless this is a newer portable generator, most Onan RV and stand alone units use an Onan engine. Post a couple of pictures of the unit and we should be able to identify it. Especially the ID tag located on the shroud.

RayS43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually it's an older Cummins/Onan genset (2002). I was told (on another forum) that Cummins couldn't be bothered making such small engines (14HP), so they used other engines with the Onan generators.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well you know everything you see on the internet is the absolute truth. As asked pictures would help identify your unit greatly.

RayS43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can't post photos. Site message reads: "The uploaded file is too large for the server to process."

txmowman

Threads
I’m with Rivets. I don’t believe Onan used Kawasaki. For sure not in 2002.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IF you are trying to upload from a cell (smart) phone if are of too large. They store image in ridiculous size formats. Use an image editing software and reduce the overall image size too 1000 x 1000 pixels or less. Here I usually upload in the 640 x 480 (VGA format).