Gas Weed Wacker with Engine Trouble

l008com

Threads
I added a few pictures of the machine to the original post. I also downloaded it's owners manual but nothing about carb adjustments beyond the idle speed screw. I haven't had time to take the machine apart more and actually get to the carb and see what it has for other adjustment screws. Seems like I'm always in a huge rush on yardwork day.

l008com

Threads
OK I just found this video on youtube and that seems to be right on the money:

But the shot of the driver is very blurry, anyone know what it actually looks like? Is it just a socket?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
LOL Walk into an engine shop with a 2-cycle anything and see what happens. Here's a hint, "we don't work on those, throw it away and buy a new one" is what you get. Others say right on their website "NO LONGER SERVICE BLOWERS OR STRING TRIMMERS". I've never found any shop anywhere near me that will work on 2 cycle engines. I had two different very problematic chainsaws over the years and after searching high and low, I gave up.

But this trimmer is a different situation. Its a good brand and a good machine that, aside from this problem, runs great and always has. It's certainly worth fixing. Especially if it's just a matter of taking off the air box and adjusting a screw. I don't think the problem is that the carb itself has gone bad. And I base that on the fact that it's had the exact same problem since it was brand new, and it's never gotten any worse.
Goes like this
I charge $ 72/hr (Aus)
To just pressure test the fuel tank , carb & crankcase to check got air leaks is 45 minutes ( $ 54 )
If the diaphragms are cactus there is another 1/2 hour + parts so we are now over $ 100
Then there is carb adjustments easy another 1/2 so we are getting close to $ 200
After that it is do my trimming around the workshop, I like to run a full tank through it because I want it to fail here not after the customer took it home
Add to that time ( not billed for ) to do exactly what Star said , try to find out what kit was needed and tuning sequences as some of them are rediculously complicated .
Now in the same 3+ hours I could have done a full service on a ride on for around $ 500 or played silly buggers with this trimmer for $ 200, assuming that of course I have the required parts in stock and they don't have to be ordered in .
And funny enough earlier this season I did 122LD which the 128 Replaced , probably spent the entire day on it, got it running beautifully & sent it back.
Two weeks later it was back in the shop , was sure the customer had been fiddling with it as the carb setting were way out ( I record them in my diary , the factory recommendations & what they ended up bing )
So I readjusted it , ran 2 tanks through it and a fortnight it was back again with the carb way out of adjustment .
Then I twigged that the needles were too easy to turn
Tried a new set, still too loose so it was a dab of Lock Tite, adjust the carb again, leave it a day then test again ( got 750 yards of fence line done if nothing else )
That was 3 months ago & customer is happy with it , but with 2 lots of free warranty work there would have been better than 20 hours for $ 200, I would make double that working at McDonalds flipping burgers .
That is why shops are reluctant to work on them , because we loose money
Ryobi trimmers start at $ 50 NEW
Husqvarna & Stihl start around $ 100
Hondas @ $ 450 I will fix all day and the bulk of my commercial customers use Honda or Honda powered trimmers

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK I just found this video on youtube and that seems to be right on the money:

But the shot of the driver is very blurry, anyone know what it actually looks like? Is it just a socket?
It is a spline ( 17 tooth from memory )
I have boxes full of carb tools because they bring a new one out every week and as it is illegal to sell them even to workshops , I have to buy a new set from China via Alibaba several times a year
Another reason why workshops do not want to work on them .
We are supposed to have both a CO/CO2 meter + a hydrocarbon meter and hook these up to the exhaust when tuning these engines ( fines if you do not )
FWIW below is the tune up proceedure , week at least for this week because they keep on changing them
There is a Husqvana tool number for the clutch tool pop it into Scammazon for an illegal kit purchase ( and they wonder why we think all this stuff is a joke )

Attachments

• 122ld.pdf
    61.4 KB · Views: 2

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I wondered how long it would take for some one in the USA to start flogging CTS stuff now that Dave in HK seems to have vanished .
Just be careful because CTS do not use all the same shape codes that Zama & Walbro do so some of the parts in the kits will look different .
Apparently there is some patient problems with some ( not all ) of the diaphragms , well that is what they told me anyway .

l008com

Threads
Then there is carb adjustments easy another 1/2 so we are getting close to $ 200
To clarify, I wasn't questioning the economics of whether shops should or shouldn't work on tiny motors. More just starting the fact that none or almost none do. I haven't found any that do. Thus the suggestion to bring it to a pro was a little silly. But given everything I've read, it sounds like a simple twist of one of these screws is all mine needs.

Regarding which size driver I need, mine is definitely a 21 tooth. I took a high res photo, zoomed way the F in, and counted in Adobe Illustrator using some polygon tools to make sure I wasn't missing anything :D

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
it is a carb problem if it is a five year old problem. None of those 2-cycle things were made as anything more than throw away unless you learn how to repair them. Example - 2 cycle Homelite marketed as Ryobi hedger - muffler cracked and rotted away in a couple years. Carb went bad. Fuel tank hoses rotted. Fuel cap went bad. Shall I go on? I repair mine but frankly it isn't a lot cheaper than buying a new one every 5 years.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To clarify, I wasn't questioning the economics of whether shops should or shouldn't work on tiny motors. More just starting the fact that none or almost none do. I haven't found any that do. Thus the suggestion to bring it to a pro was a little silly. But given everything I've read, it sounds like a simple twist of one of these screws is all mine needs.

Regarding which size driver I need, mine is definitely a 21 tooth. I took a high res photo, zoomed way the F in, and counted in Adobe Illustrator using some polygon tools to make sure I wasn't missing anything :D
And I was trying to explain why shops don't do saws any more unless you bought it from them.
Chain saws, blowers & line trimmers are all loss making repairs
Push mowers are not all that much better either .
Since there are no more phone books it is hard to find genuine repair workshops because the search engine will always direct you to the most popular site or the ones that pay good money to pretend to be the most popular so you have to do more searching other then face book & google to find them or you will just keep on finding glass fronts .
Glass fronts only want to sell new products because there is a 50% retail mark up on most lawn gear and the shops are all owned by big businesses so run by accountants .
I sent you the manual there is not much more that I can do
I do not sell any whole goods
I just do repairs
But you will not be able to find me electronically
I have a display add in the local free newspaper and a business card at the 3 local shops notice boards
That generates more work than I can do
It is mid winter right now & have 6 months of work already booked in .