FWD or RWD?

Mountaineer

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to the forum, seems like a wealth of info. Just one question, I'm going to look for a new push mower, and its time for a self-propelled one. I have about 1/2 acre, all flat, lots of thick Zoyia (sp?) grass. I don't use a bagger, don't like the hassle, just usually throw the clippings, maybe mulch in the fall. I bought an older Snapper once, it was very heavy (even without the bag), and didn't move very well through my thicker grass, and was a RWD. Would a FWD work better in my yard? Larger rear wheels? I'm in uncharted waters here and don't want to waste time and money. Thanks to all who reply.

Threads
New to the forum, seems like a wealth of info. Just one question, I'm going to look for a new push mower, and its time for a self-propelled one. I have about 1/2 acre, all flat, lots of thick Zoyia (sp?) grass. I don't use a bagger, don't like the hassle, just usually throw the clippings, maybe mulch in the fall. I bought an older Snapper once, it was very heavy (even without the bag), and didn't move very well through my thicker grass, and was a RWD. Would a FWD work better in my yard? Larger rear wheels? I'm in uncharted waters here and don't want to waste time and money. Thanks to all who reply.

I would go with a RWD mower. Here are some reasons:

• With a FWD mower, on bumps the front wheels might go off the ground and then there would be no drive.
  • On a FWD mower with larger back wheels, the large wheels make it harder to lift up the front end and turn around.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

Did you mean zoysia grass ?
It is a very thick grass and would help to cut it every five to seven days.
There are people that say don't even try a push mower.
I have always used a snapper.
Don't get a fwd it's just a pain in the butt.
Rwd will push threw better.
And like has been said the rwd is better when turning.
I would look at getting a small rear engine rider.
Keep your blades sharp and would be best to bag. Zoysia is the only grass I will bag it does not like all the clippings left behind.
Do you know what kind of zoysia you have?

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Threads
Keep your blades sharp and would be best to bag.

And if you want to bag with a push mower definitely get the RWD because the weight of the grass in the bag might lift the front wheels off the ground making the drive useless. :confused2:

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
I would recommend a RWD for the same reasons as lmf did

I would recommend one that you just pul a bar on they seem to last long and do not hurt your hands :thumbsup:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads

Another for rwd here. Also with thick grass I would find one with plenty of torque. And I also bag zoysia

X-man

Threads
I would go with a RWD mower. Here are some reasons:

• With a FWD mower, on bumps the front wheels might go off the ground and then there would be no drive.
  • On a FWD mower with larger back wheels, the large wheels make it harder to lift up the front end and turn around.

I also agree with lmf. Both reasons and the rear wheels also hold more weight.

Mountaineer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lots of good recommendations here, thanks to all. The zoysia grass was (is) an experiment, the yard in front of my house was so weed/crabgrass infested that I had to do something besides treat it with chemicals. I have a vacant lot across the street and upwind from my house, owned by a utility company, that gets mowed about 3 times a year, and is full of weeds. My yard is split with a sidewalk, and one side is great with no weeds, crabgrass, etc. (zoysia), and the other is a mess. I figure in a few years the bad will look like the good, as I transplant a few small clumps every year. So the thick grass is just a small section of my total yard, probably about 1/5, but I see the necessity of a higher-powered mower. I also have an older Craftsman RER that works great, its just that sometimes I like the exercise of my push mower.

Threads
Lots of good recommendations here, thanks to all. The zoysia grass was (is) an experiment, the yard in front of my house was so weed/crabgrass infested that I had to do something besides treat it with chemicals. I have a vacant lot across the street and upwind from my house, owned by a utility company, that gets mowed about 3 times a year, and is full of weeds. My yard is split with a sidewalk, and one side is great with no weeds, crabgrass, etc. (zoysia), and the other is a mess. I figure in a few years the bad will look like the good, as I transplant a few small clumps every year. So the thick grass is just a small section of my total yard, probably about 1/5, but I see the necessity of a higher-powered mower. I also have an older Craftsman RER that works great, its just that sometimes I like the exercise of my push mower.

For a push mower I would definitely recommend one with a 190cc engine, since you will need the extra power. :thumbsup:

Brucebotti

Threads
Am I the only one that favors FWD? For 20 years I had FWD (21") mowers primarily to do the trim. Last year for the first time I went to RWD and I don't like it. It would be fine for the overall lawn, but to me it sucks for the trim. With the the FWD I could keep the drive engaged all the time and just tilt the front wheels up to turn or back up. Now, if I want to back up, I have to disengage the drive, pull it back, and then re-engage the drive. It's really a PITA, but I'm stuck (I generally keep my equipment forever). This is just my $.02, and worth every penny...:laughing:
Bruce