FWD only going backwards

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Slomo. Do you realize that you most remove the entire axle/tranny assembly to properly do what you are saying? The OP can do what he wants, just saying I wouldn’t worry about it.
Of course. Actually on some Toros I've done, the trans will rotate in a down angle once you remove the belt and I think a wheel or two. Been a while so don't quote me on this. Or just remove it entirely from the deck.

I hear ya Rivets. You like dead grease. It's all good here. (y)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No I don’t, I just like to only fix problems I see, not what I think might need to be done. My time and experience cost money and I don’t do things that I must charge the customer for if I don’t feel it’s needed.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I sleep better at night knowing a mower of mine has good fluids and is ready for battle. Fins are clean....

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
most likely your belt mechanism is screwed up. It slips to allow movement except when the handle is pushed down to engage it. Yours is engaged for whatever reason, too small a belt, broken something, jammed with debris, I dunno. That is how my 20055 Toro recycler works.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, you guys win, I give up. There’s no arguing with guys who’ve solved the same problem on different mowers or charge for repairs that may no be needed, so they can sleep well. I’m getting out of this one. Juntjoo, PM me if you need more help.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rivets, as I understand it, his primary complaint is that the the wheels only turn in the backwards direction unless the engine is on and he is pushing the mower forward. I have a 20055. He has a 20065 which I believe is the next year's model of the same mower. On mine, the belt that drives the wheels must slip in order for the wheels to spin freely in the forward direction or one would be turning the motor. If he monkeyed with the belt, replaced it or has too much debris in there then it will not slip and the wheels will seem locked. As to his grease and lube, his maintenance - that is a seperate issue which I did not address because all you folks already addressed it. On my 20055 when the handle is pushed down to go forwards it causes the belt to grab. The more it is pushed down, the more the belt grabs and the faster the mower goes forward. That mechanism must work freely. He might want to read this:

Adjusting the Self-Propel Drive​

https://manuals.toro.com/128625/index.html#ae4c963c-e6be-4021-bcef-682ac6a388c3