FWD only going backwards

juntjoo

Threads
Vid optional. Pretty simple. Gearbox stuck only able to go backwards. Forward only works with aid of belt, from above.

Stuck gearbox

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are going to have to post the model and serial numbers for the unit so we have some idea of the tranny you have. That tranny is used on many different models and not all are the same. Second, take the wheels off and post a picture of the wheel gear and picture of the drive gear. Willing to bet that the tranny isn’t the problem.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
As Rivets was leading to, maybe dirt all in the wheel/bearing/sleeve/gear area.

I would clean that old dead grease out while you are there. That looks ultra sticky with no flow to protect parts. Old paint pan, some Diesel and an old paint brush. Clean that sucker out.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cleaning and repacking the tranny is not going to matter, unless you want to think it will solve the problem. To me that lube looks fine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agreed on the lube repack being not a decisive diagnosis of his issue. Just said while he was there.......

My opinion, that roofing tar sludge has to go.

So you would actually leave that 1967 Flex Seal in there, in a mower YOU own? Cool. (y)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If that tranny is the one I think it is, the lube will outlast the tranny. Cost of removing the old lube, cleaning and repacking is not worth it, even for a DIY guy. The only place you need a little lube is between the bevel gear and the pinion gear, which you can’t even see because it is surrounded by lube.

juntjoo

Threads
Thanks guys. It's a Toro Recycler Briggs & Stratton 20065. Hmm... I was thinking this would be a simpler common issue. Explains why I didn't find anything on YouTube for it. Grease seemed good to me but I wouldn't know

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On that model the more likely problem is the drive gear on the axle needs to be removed and all parts need to be cleaned. For the inexperienced DIY guy I will say this is not a hard job, but if you’re not very careful and observant, you will find yourself in a quandary when trying to reassemble. I’ve attached two sites which will help you make a decision as to how you would like to proceed. One is the parts manual and the other is the service manual for the different drive systems used by Toro. The transmission used on your unit is SINGLE SPEED BEVEL GEAR TRANSMISSION. I’ve probably serviced over a 250 of these systems and it normally takes me about an hour to do one. I will tell you I keep a paper copy next to me, of the system I’m working on for references, as I’ve made mistakes more than once in reassembling the system. From what I can see, you don’t have to do anything with the tranny, so close it up and just work on the drive axle gears setup.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Grease seemed good to me but I wouldn't know
To my poor eyes, it looked like all the oil is gone from your grease. Looks black and has cut more than a few yards LOL. Not that expensive to change it out.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Slomo. Do you realize that you most remove the entire axle/tranny assembly to properly do what you are saying? The OP can do what he wants, just saying I wouldn’t worry about it.