Fuel tank removal on Craftsman lawn tractor

SMWoody

Threads
Greetings: I need to remove a fuel tank from a Craftsman lawn tractor (917.275023) - 23HP Kohler engine, hydro drive; can anybody give me some advise or point me in the right direction on how to remove this fuel tank? it is mounted under the seat and doesn't look easy .... I've looked on YouTube but haven't found much in the way of instructional video..... thanks for the replies.....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to the Sears service web site and download the parts diagram.
Looks a lot worse than it is.
You remove the entire rear mudguard ( 1 piece ) by lifting it at the back & sliding it out towards the rear.
No pedals need to be removed except the nobs on any the protrude through the guard ( fender to some ) and the surrounding covers.
You then need to get under the mower to disconnect the fuel lines which you should have drained previously. They can be a bit of a PIA.

When reassembling, cut the end 1/2" of the hoses so they fit back on tight and lube with some rubber grease or silicon spray not WD 40 or similar.

Getting the back wheels a good 2' or more off the ground helps a lot.
Rear wheels do not need to be removed but will give you a bit more space to work in.

SMWoody

Threads
Go to the Sears service web site and download the parts diagram.
Looks a lot worse than it is.
You remove the entire rear mudguard ( 1 piece ) by lifting it at the back & sliding it out towards the rear.
No pedals need to be removed except the nobs on any the protrude through the guard ( fender to some ) and the surrounding covers.
You then need to get under the mower to disconnect the fuel lines which you should have drained previously. They can be a bit of a PIA.

When reassembling, cut the end 1/2" of the hoses so they fit back on tight and lube with some rubber grease or silicon spray not WD 40 or similar.

Getting the back wheels a good 2' or more off the ground helps a lot.
Rear wheels do not need to be removed but will give you a bit more space to work in.

Thanks much for the info.....