Fuel System Cleaner Safe?

ThatGuyYouKnow

Threads
Hey guys recently bought a used engine for my yardman mower its a 17 hp briggs. I need to change the oil but it smokes a little out the exhaust but not all the time. I wanted to know if fuel system cleaner could fix this because I think the chamber is getting dirty and don't want to remove the head. Can anyone help me.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do not put fuel system cleaner in the crankcase, could do more damage than you would likebto hear about. Change the oil and replace with 30W oil. If the smoke is blue you may have residue oil from sitting, should clean up. If the smoke is black, then you have a fuel related problem, but I would not worry until it is no long intermittent.

ThatGuyYouKnow

Threads
Thanks for the reply the smoke is whitish blue color. By the way could I add seafoam to the fuel(gas tank) to help have heard some use it and help them but just not sure.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I recommend SeaFoam as a fuel system cleaner, but not as an additive for the lubrication system. I know they say you can use it there, have even seen videos, but anything that thins the oil is not on my recommendation list.

ThatGuyYouKnow

Threads
Thank you so much Rivets that's what I needed to know. But one last question do you know about how much to add to the gas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I usually add about 3 cap fulls to the gas tank on a lawn mower.