Fuel shut off valve or buy non-ethanol gas?

I agree, but if he has never replaced the needle/seat, the problem is going to continue. In my opinion, the best way to prevent it reoccurring is to start using non-ethanol fuel. It's worked for our customers for the last three years. I know that Carscw doesn't agree, but it works for us and when you are in the service business you do what works for you.
 
I suggest that you pull the carb off one more time and give it a good 24 soaking bath or have it ultrasonically cleaned. When you reassemble it, install a new float needle and seat. You don't give us an engine model number, I'm assuming that the part number is 398188. After you got everything back together, I recommend that you use non-ethanol fuel. This is what we recommend to all our customers who have this problem.

Thanks much for the guidance. I don't know what the engine model number is but I'll find that out and post it if I have more problems and need to ask for more help. I'll find some non-ethanol fuel and use it from now on.

QUESTIONS:

1. If I use non-ethanol gas, would it still be recommended to install a fuel shut-off valve and run the engine until it quits each time after I mow the lawn?

2. do you recommend adding a fuel stabilizer to the non-ethanol gas in the gas can? If so, which one?

Thanks for the professional help,
Yardguy
 
I see this is going to turn into a blame everything on ethanol for the lack of proper maintenance.

The ethanol did not clog the carb up in just 4 weeks.

Actually, reflecting back now, I think the idle time in the mower was more like 6-8 weeks. But the real problem might actually be how long the gas was stored in my 5 gallon gas can. That would be much older, and then when refilling the mower's tank, the ethanol gas is already old + the additional 6-8 weeks it sits idle in the mower's tank.

I also live in a high humidity location so I'm wondering if the ethanol gas in the mower's tank is absorbing water more than normal humidity locations.

I'll only fill 3 gallons in that gas can from now on and buy non-ethanol gas.

Thanks,
Yardguy
 
Actually, reflecting back now, I think the idle time in the mower was more like 6-8 weeks. But the real problem might actually be how long the gas was stored in my 5 gallon gas can. That would be much older, and then when refilling the mower's tank, the ethanol gas is already old + the additional 6-8 weeks it sits idle in the mower's tank. I also live in a high humidity location so I'm wondering if the ethanol gas in the mower's tank is absorbing water more than normal humidity locations. I'll only fill 3 gallons in that gas can from now on and buy non-ethanol gas. Thanks, Yardguy

I will agree 8 weeks is not good.
If your using a additive I would not worry about the fresh start.

I understand why some say to use pure gas. I have had no problems from ethanol but I don't store any gas. I buy my 20 gallons every mourning and use it the se day.
I would rebuild the carb and try the pure gas.
 
Actually, reflecting back now, I think the idle time in the mower was more like 6-8 weeks. But the real problem might actually be how long the gas was stored in my 5 gallon gas can. That would be much older, and then when refilling the mower's tank, the ethanol gas is already old + the additional 6-8 weeks it sits idle in the mower's tank.

I also live in a high humidity location so I'm wondering if the ethanol gas in the mower's tank is absorbing water more than normal humidity locations.

I'll only fill 3 gallons in that gas can from now on and buy non-ethanol gas.
Thought it might be worth mentioning that:

1. Before I bought the John Deere mower in August 2012, I had a Craftsman mower and a "Weed Eater" weed whacker. Never had problems using old ethanol gas in either one. Never used a fuel stabilizer in the gas.

2. When I bought the John Deere mower, I inherited a used Stihl weed whacker. While the John Deere mower had the 3 no start episodes, I never had a problem starting the Stihl weed whacker.

I refilled my 5 gallon gas can with fresh gas and added Stabil to it after the first mower no start episode.

For the Stihl weed whacker, I fill a used one gallon Coleman fuel can from the 5 gallon gas can and add 2 cycle oil to it. I fill the mower with the gas from the 5 gallon can. So the gas in the weed whacker is the same age gas as in the mower except that it has 2 cycle oil in it.

The John Deere mower is the only one that has had the no start problem.

Just adding info to the info bin,
Yardguy
 
i use high test only never have a prob but then again my gas dose not sit around for more then a week at a time
 
Back
Top