Engine Fuel Problem

Bobbys Kohler

Forum Newbie
Threads
It appears the fuel solenoid is stopping the fuel from getting into the Carb throat. Can I eliminate it, or bypass it ? Someone told me I could remove it and just plug the hole in bottom of bowl, but I would need to install an inline petcock below the tank to shut off fuel flow after shutdown.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Briggs have the same solenoid. If you do that (bypass), I believe it'll mess with the mixture. It shuts off the fuel to keep it from popping after shutdown, and to avoid a rich hot start. These carbs still have a float and needle - that solenoid just plugs off the main jet.......thus why I said it'll mess with the mixture. (while it's open, I think it's also the mixture needle......)

Just replace the part.

Bobbys Kohler

Forum Newbie
Threads
I called Sears Parts The darn thing costs a hundred bucks !!!!!!!! Any idea what Briggs gets for theirs ?

Bobbys Kohler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also, the bowl appears to be integral with the Carb body. Is my evaluation correct?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hmmm, that integral part doesn't sound right. Should be a removeable bowl like the old fashioned ones do.

Im sure the briggs part costs about as much. They're expensive buggers. I understand why you'd wanna bypass it-i just don't think it'll work out like you think, unfortunately.

Sent from my WX445 using LMF

joemac1958

Forum Newbie
Threads
If anyone still reads this thread: I have a Briggs twin built in 2001 (craftsman) Since I bought it used I've had to run with partial choke or it would stall. It would take spells while mowing where it would start to die. I'd engage clutch and play choke. It would clear up and start running fine again. It has the 4 screw fuel pump type carb and have been assuming the carb & pump needed a rebuild. Well I was mowing yesterday and it stopped in spite of all the tricks that had worked last year it died and will not restart .
While looking up parts to order I saw a fuel solenoid in parts list. I've read up a little on this part and would like to rule this out as a problem. However I can't seem to find the physical location. I don't see any wires running to the carb at all???. The tank is below the carb so I read that if the solenoid was in the carb bowl it can be replaced with a bolt without fuel leaking from tank. It is a SAFETY device and am not advocating it be disabled......I'd just like to find mine. Both filters are new.
#1. Does my problem sound like fuel pump rebuilt?
#2. Could it be a intermittent fuel solenoid?

GroundEffectsLawnSvc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know that over the last 4 years, all of my commercial equipment has been serviced due to fuel issues, specifically ethanol. I mean it messes up everything from 2cycle trimmers to zero turns.
Not saying that's your problem, but its a place to start.
The ethanol creates water while in the tank. When you fill any tank, do not leave any room at the top. Don't overfill. The larger the space is in your gas tanks, the more surface area can develop condensation, and ultimately....water in your gas tanks.
I'm repair guy actually asked me a year or to ago, if it was possible that someone was mad at me, because it looked like someone had actually put water in the tank. That how much water can develop. How it helps, if not, maybe at least you learned something new. Good luck from Va Beach.

Sent from my Droid using LMF

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
sounds like your mower has the nikki carb with has two screws that bolt the bowl to the carb body and they also have a very expensive fuel solenoid. the one for the walbro carb is about half that price but doesn't fit the nikki carb. the walbro solenoid can be replaced with a bowl nut off of a non solenoid carb and still work properly, don't know about the nikki. I don't think I have ever seen a nikki carb without a solenoid on a rider engine.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sta-Bil makes a "marine grade" blue formula that helps with some of the problems caused by the ethanol. I get the large bottle from Tractor Supply and just put it in all my gas. I don't have problems with the water in the tank. :thumbsup:
I know that over the last 4 years, all of my commercial equipment has been serviced due to fuel issues, specifically ethanol.