Fuel mist blowing out of a carburetor on kawasaki FH458

Or install a fuel shutoff valve.

I am curious as to how an engine with a fuel pump gets a crankcase full of gas overnight. Usually that's a gravity-feed system problem.

I have a fuel shut off valve and I have been using it since the "incident" and there were no recurrences. The gasoline flows freely through the pump when the engine isn't running. This is a standard pressure driven pump. Do you think I need to replace it?
 
I have a fuel shut off valve and I have been using it since the "incident" and there were no recurrences. The gasoline flows freely through the pump when the engine isn't running. This is a standard pressure driven pump. Do you think I need to replace it?

I don't see why you need it at all if gas reaches the carburetor on its own.
 
The fuel pump is a simple diaphragm with a very light return spring and a one way valve on the outlet.
Nothing in there to stop the fuel flow and most will happily syphon if the end of the fuel line is lower than the level of fuel in the tank.
So as long as you are not hunting when the fuel tank is getting low then your pump is fine.
 
The fuel pump is a simple diaphragm with a very light return spring and a one way valve on the outlet.
Nothing in there to stop the fuel flow and most will happily syphon if the end of the fuel line is lower than the level of fuel in the tank.
So as long as you are not hunting when the fuel tank is getting low then your pump is fine.

Thanks! That explains how my crankcase got filled with gasoline.
 
Back
Top