Fuel line

CLStout

Threads
Hoping that someone here has seen this. I was replacing the fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter on an Ariens 20hp 42" mower. The fuel line that I was using I had purchased last year, and I had used small portions of it to replace the line from the fuel filter to the fuel pump, and from the pump to the carb. So assuming that it was good line, I used the remaining portion to replace the line from the tank to the filter. While working with the line, I noticed that my hands were getting black. What would have caused this?
I reinstalled the old line, and I guess I just need to throw out the line, but I would really like to know what happened to it.

Thanks

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Run the new line till it leaks. Make sure you have a good filter on. Goes true for any type hose.

Saying that get some good hose. Not worth burning down your mower or your house if stored in the garage. And yes it happens......

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your fuel line is starting to break down, main cause is cheap line and breaking down due to hot dry storage. This is very common with DIY guys who try to cut corners by purchasing more than they need, at a low price and store remaining line hanging on a hook in a dry environment. Unless you have a good reason, by good line and only what you need.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have found automotive vacum line and cheap ebay fuel line does this in a couple years. Get rid of it. You can get fuel line cheap. Good quality 1/4" line will last at least 10 years.

CLStout

Threads
This wasn't cheap line (at least I didn't think so), and the sections of it that are in use currently are holding up very well. This section was on a shelf with the other small engine parts. It didn't get exposed to anything. I just cleaned up the old line, checked it for any cracks, and reinstalled it. This wasn't a purchase from ebay, I bought this from a local O'Reilly's auto parts store.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Look at it for writing. Most quality fuel line will have size and company name on it. I have seen the rocket scientists at auto parts stores sell vacum hose for fuel line because since it wasn't high pressure fuel injection that vacum hose would work. I was at a NAPA of all places last week looking for an odd tapered roller bearing and BOTH girls behind the counter didn't know what a tapered roller bearing was or how to measure them. I had the bad one and one girl tried to use a tape measure and there was a dial caliper in the drawer she got the tape from. Asked her to use it and just got the deer in the headlights look. This after I gave her the measurements in thou and metric. Her name tag said assistant manager. I guess McDonald's wasn't hiring.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
what worst is most taper bearings have their part numbers on them; unless, they were very cheap after market ones. Just a magnifier glass helps to see them.

I had once Tygon fuel to fail with a few days of it being installed. What weird was when I replace the bad line the new line came off the same stock roll here. So sometimes just a section of line can be bad even when new. Most fuel lines for rider here I use 30R7 line in the correct ID size.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The bearing said timken and USA but didn't have the number which I thought was strange Bearing.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I use Gates and only Gates 1/4" fuel line. won't see me being blamed for a fire. 🤞