Fuel filter

theoldwizard1

Threads
Not really specific to B&S engines, but most single cylinder engine less than 10 HP do not have any type of fuel filter (and most do not have a fuel shut off either).

Clogged idle/main jet is a very common problem (which causes governor "hunting"). How many of you have added a filter (B&S makes two; red filters are 150 micron, and the white (or light grey) disc-type filters are 75 micron ) and do you feel it helps reduce this problem ?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I ran a quantum engine on a push mower for years with no fuel filter. Ran good until Mr connecting rod wanted a window in his house.
But I Did add a red briggs filter just cause on the short block

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since most fuel tanks are plastic now i don't see much crud in the carbs. In the old days of steel tanks got rust particles clogging things up. I clean lots of carbs but not for dirt but rather old fuel gone bad. Don't see much difference on push mowers with or without a filter. Chainsaws are a different story.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
When small comes with trash in the carburetor I usually install at least one those pancake filters. It not always the fuel tank that is the problem but the operator's fuel can being left open or them not cleaning off the fuel before refueling.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not really specific to B&S engines, but most single cylinder engine less than 10 HP do not have any type of fuel filter (and most do not have a fuel shut off either).

Clogged idle/main jet is a very common problem (which causes governor "hunting"). How many of you have added a filter (B&S makes two; red filters are 150 micron, and the white (or light grey) disc-type filters are 75 micron ) and do you feel it helps reduce this problem ?

Only in America
That is the phrase that comes to mind.
Honda built in a shut off valve to nearly all of their engines regardless of the size & most of those will have a sediment trap under the valve and a filter in the tank.
Same for Suzuki
All Australian made mowers had a filter & a shut off valve .
In most cases it was incorperated into the valve .
Most of the imported USA made rebadged mowers sold down here have both a filter & a valve.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
One of my favorites is the shop that charged a guy $10 to change the fuel filter on a 5hp horizontal briggs while doing a "tune up".