FS36 problem

daplight

Forum Newbie
Threads
On my nephew's FS36 when pulling rope there isn't resistance, and obviously it doesn't even try to start. What does this indicate? I thought maybe no compression because of blown piston, or maybe another problem? I'm somewhat new to this forum but I want to learn more so I can do first echelon maintenance on my weed eaters and chainsaws. Thanks for any help.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
How old is it? Has it been used a lot? What is the maintenance background?

Check the spark arrestor.

Mikel1

Threads
Is the flywheel being engaged when you pull the rope? If flywheel is engaging then take spark plug out and see if the piston is moving when pulling the rope.

daplight

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the flywheel being engaged when you pull the rope? If flywheel is engaging then take spark plug out and see if the piston is moving when pulling the rope.

Thanks Lawnboy and Mikel1. I'll check your suggestions and get back in a couple of days with findings.

daplight

Forum Newbie
Threads

Spark arrester is fine, not clogged. I don't think the flywheel is engaged, or at least when you pull the rope there isn't any resistance. What does this indicate, something plastic is worn out? I've heard it said that 'aggressive' pulling can break something, if not the rope

daplight

Forum Newbie
Threads
Spark arrester is fine, not clogged. I don't think the flywheel is engaged, or at least when you pull the rope there isn't any resistance. What does this indicate, something plastic is worn out? I've heard it said that 'aggressive' pulling can break something, if not the rope
Asking again-what could be the problem here? If flywheel is not being engaged then piston wouldn't be moving, right? Wish I could find a diagram, or parts explosion list so I could see closeup of maybe the key is broken. Being a newbie I'm reluctant to totally dismantle, but I think thats what I'm going to do.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The reciol mechanism & engagement dogs are in the side cover and come off with it so pull the side cover off and have a look.
There are a few pawls and springs that can break or fall off so the pull rope can not rotate the engine.
You should be able to see the cooling fins through the cover and they are on the flywheel so if they are not moving the starter rope is not rotating the engine.

Mikel1

Threads
My apologies, didn't receive any emails indicating replies.:confused2:

Bert has given you some solid advice.
Like Bert said I would take the cover off with recoil assembly then manually turn flywheel. That should narrow it down quick.

daplight

Forum Newbie
Threads
The reciol mechanism & engagement dogs are in the side cover and come off with it so pull the side cover off and have a look.
There are a few pawls and springs that can break or fall off so the pull rope can not rotate the engine.
You should be able to see the cooling fins through the cover and they are on the flywheel so if they are not moving the starter rope is not rotating the engine.

Thanks Bert, I will dismantle further this weekend. I'll let everyone know what I find.

upupandaway

Threads

If this is the one made in the 90's it doesn't have a "side cover" the whole front end comes off and then there is a white bracket holding the pullcord\recoil assembly.