FS-90r straight shaft, head turns at idle.

joea99

Threads
FS-90r, straight shaft. I'd say lightly used, in homeowner context.

Head spins at idle. If I press it hard against the ground to stop it, the engine stalls. If I turn it by hand, engine off of course, it "cogs" at different points in rotations.

Bad clutch/drum?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds like the clutch spring has broken.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to pull it apart and check the clutch. Could be a broke spring binding things up or a seized bearing. The "cogging" is probably the piston turning in the cylinder.

joea99

Threads
Any solution other than replace the clutch assembly? I see it runs around $35.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IF it is just a broken clutch spring then you can just replace it. It would be PN 0000 997 5902 under $2.

It could just rust on the two pivot pins too.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, if it has been sitting for a while, it could just be rusted up.

Not too difficult to take off the cover and see what is up.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just loosen the two larger screws holding the throttle trigger assy. in place, and loosen the screw on the clamp on the tube, and slide straight back/off.
Then just remove the 6 screws and lift off the clutch housing.

joea99

Threads
The spring is not broken. A bit of rust in the area. When I loosened the two screws holding the clutch I heard a little click for each one.

Did not remove the spring/clutch part just applied some penetrating fluid and reassembled, thinking it would have freed up things.

It did not "cog" when I rotated the cutting head by hand. But once I fired it up it was stalling at idle. Now it "cogs" again by hand.

I guess those "pivot pins" need better servicing?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, a squirt of juice would probably do it, just lube the pivot areas only, or removing and buffing.

joea99

Threads
Problem seems to be when tightening down the two screws reasonably tight the arms will bind if I pry them out a bit, as they would move when rev;'d up. They stay there until I back the screw(s) out a bit, then pop back to "rest".

I did clean things up a bit more. The two pins do not want to come out, are they supposed to be free to rotate?