Front ZT Tire Flat

shurguywutt

Threads
I inflate my front tires to about 22 psi and check them every few mows. I noticed the other day that the left front tire has been going flat and the other holds pressure. I have not seen any evidence of a puncture or hear hissing noise when I air it up. Could the seam be leaking? What should I do to fix this or is it even worth fixing if I can take 2 mins to air it before I mow. They are tubeless tires.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The small front tires on Z turn are notorious for leaking around the beads. Sometimes the use of bead sealant can help but for long term the use of a tube is the best outcome.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take the wheel off. Air it up to operating pressure and dunk it in a bucket of water. You will find the leak. If it’s not leaking around the rim, you might be able to plug it. If it’s leaking around the bead area, put a tube in it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I prefer to use soapy water in a spray bottle here that way I don't expose the wheel bearing to excessive water. Now if no leak found and I know they are leaking down then it is a water dunk as I had a couple with rim weld leaks but this very rare.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I know a few people who've put the Flat free hard tires on their front Z turn wheels, i don't like it as the front end is alot bouncier than with regular tires. Like IL said, i think a tube is the best long term solution.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I prefer to use soapy water in a spray bottle here that way I don't expose the wheel bearing to excessive water. Now if no leak found and I know they are leaking down then it is a water dunk as I had a couple with rim weld leaks but this very rare.
I should have been more clear. He doesn’t need to submerge the entire wheel assembly. He only needs to submerge the rim edge and tire. Pay special attention to the valve stem.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd like to put a tube in it but I dont have a tire tool/stand to do it. I heard the front ZT tires are a bear.
An independent tire shop, outdoor sports shop, or mower shop should be able to help you out. It will cost you less to have it done than to buy a new tire and have it mounted.

shurguywutt

Threads
Had a chance to examine it more. The front tires actually have tubes in them already. I sprayed it with soapy water and I did not see any bubbles. I know its not best practice but since it has a tube and it is a slow leak, I may just try to dose it up with some tire slime and see if that is an easy fix.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd like to put a tube in it but I dont have a tire tool/stand to do it. I heard the front ZT tires are a bear.

You're local tire shop can help you with that. Most wouldn't charge more than $10 each to install a tube. (+ the price of the tube)