Free Tecumseh 6.5 GTS (guaranteed to start).... starts but won't run.

RandyJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Free Tecumseh 6.5 GTS (guaranteed to start).... starts but won't run.
Engine Model # LEV120, engine family 2TPXS.1951BC. Spec-361560B

I was given this LIKE NEW mower for cleaning up a property. I didn't try to start it until I pulled the spark plug, squirted some PB in the cylinder, let it sit for an hour then cranked it over without the plug installed. I cleaned the spark plug, installed it, then put new gas in. It would start very easy and still does. At first it would run for a few minutes then die out. Now it just starts right up and immediately dies. I've cleaned the carburetor thoroughly, same issue. I don't see any kind of diaphragm but can see what I believe to be a pulse line. Just not sure how a Tecumseh carburetor works. Any help would be nice.

Thanks,
RJ

Zeek

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Free Tecumseh 6.5 GTS (guaranteed to start).... starts but won't run.
Engine Model # LEV120, engine family 2TPXS.1951BC. Spec-361560B

I was given this LIKE NEW mower for cleaning up a property. I didn't try to start it until I pulled the spark plug, squirted some PB in the cylinder, let it sit for an hour then cranked it over without the plug installed. I cleaned the spark plug, installed it, then put new gas in. It would start very easy and still does. At first it would run for a few minutes then die out. Now it just starts right up and immediately dies. I've cleaned the carburetor thoroughly, same issue. I don't see any kind of diaphragm but can see what I believe to be a pulse line. Just not sure how a Tecumseh carburetor works. Any help would be nice.

Thanks,
RJ

Hi RJ,
If there is a solenoid attached to the float bowl, take it off (so you can see the plunger), and check it's functioning. You'll need a 12V DC power source to check it; the normal position of the plunger is out (power off) to close off fuel when the ignition is turned off (this is to prevent backfiring as the engine coasts down to stopped). I found a bad one on a larger mower engine, it's very rare to find a defective solenoid, but it does happen. If the plunger does not retract when power is applied, then the engine won't run. The other problem might be a partly clogged fuel filter, lets some gas in, but not enough to keep running. In either case, it might start, run briefly, then stop. Hope this helps...

Best regards,
...z