free murry

markhaupt

Threads
I was given a murry 40" 12.5 hp garden tractor. It is one of those "you get it running, you can have it". I am afraid that the motor is locked up. Is there any way to tell if this is true? I took the belt off of the deck and tried to turn the pulley connected to the motor shaft but it wouldn't budge. Someone told me that with it being a high compression motor, I would not be able to turn the motor that way.

tractor info: model 40702x92f
mfg date/serial: 953003-053080

engine info: 12.5 hp
model 289707
type 0121 01
code 9412204A

any help or advice would be great.

OzRanga

Threads
You should be able to turn the engine over by hand. Things to check:
Does the engine have oil? Is it low? If so, probable internal damage....

Check that the starter motor gear is not locked into the flywheel

Remove the spark plug and check for hydraulic locks

This is an 18 year old engine that spares are getting harder to get, things like connecting rods and pistons are still available, but if the block is damaged then you might be in trouble.....

smitty6398

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like the thing is a goner. The tractor and deck were'nt much to begin with. 12/12.5 Briggs don'thave a stellar reputation either. I would look for a used B/S 11hp. They were almost bulletproof.

bollingball

Threads
Pull the plug then it should turn over. If nothing else it will be something to tear down so you can see what is wrong and how it works even if you don't put it back together.

Ken

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Pull the plug out . Pour marvel mystery oil in the cylinder . Let it sit . Next day take a wrench and socket and rock the bolt back and forth on the crank pulley .... Might become unstuck.
Then you can go from there to see if you want to try and start it .

markhaupt

Threads
is there much difference between bs 11 horse and 12.5 horse. Once i get it running i plan on using a push plow in the winter? Should I go bigger and if i do, how much more work will it be?

OzRanga

Threads
Are you talking about a new 12.5hp with OHV or an old model 28 12.5hp second hand one?

Regardless, the engine bolt pattern and crankshafts are the same.

New model 21 OHV differences are slightly longer block due to OHV on the cylinder head, and then the exhaust to suit. Should still fit ok with the correct exhaust

If its the old model 28 12.5hp then its a straight swap...

markhaupt

Threads
found some remanned engines and want some input. looking at a 173 ohv with a pull cord and was wandering how hard it would be to mount a starter on it and put it in the tractor. Its a harbor freight motor--yes, i know you get what you payed for but budget restrictions keep me from getting a bs motor. is this possible or do I still look some more?

BobbyR

Threads
Don't give up yet...There are lots of Murray 40" cut mowers around with B&S 12.5 H.P. engines. In fact, I bought one new about 12 years ago and a friend just gave me two parts mowers just exactly like it that were from 2 to 4 years older than mine. They both have engines that run, but one smokes some and the other has a pretty bad vibration in it, like a possible bent crankshaft on unbalanced flywheel. But again, there's lots of them around, and many sitting in yards that haven't run in years, you might pick up very reasonable and have a good motor, or at least a good block to rebuild. I'd even give you one of the engines on one that my friend gave me if it were feasible to get it to you!