FPT vs, HP Briggs gotta mess with things...

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I pulled my head out of the sand recently and found that B&S has changed the power ratings of their engines.

Now, everything is in FPT which I translate as Foot Pounds Torque, rather than good old HP.
I do understand the difference between the two, but am not sure how they relate in lawn and garden applications.

I have seen websites that give comparisons for some brands, but not Briggs.
Does anyone have a handle on the comparative output of these 2 methods?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the good old Hp ratings were a lie in some or most cases. Briggs was changing engine stickers to match what the customer wanted. Dealer orders several 42" 17 hp lawn tractors, and received 42" 15.5 hp engines, and the fix was dealer received 17.5 hp stickers to install in place of 15.5 stickers on the engines. Craftsman would say 24 hp on the hood of the tractor, but the Kohler model number sticker would say CV22S or 22 hp.

So Briggs went to torque ratings instead of hp, Honda removed their hp rating from their engines and now only show displacement in cubic centimeters, along with a couple other companies.

Even from a dealer standpoint the change over was somewhat confusing when a customer wanted a 8 hp engine but all the replacement engines were rated in torque. I tend to look at displacement rather than torque or hp when selecting a replacement engines. this whole thing started because all the engine manufacturers and lawnmower manufacturers were taken to court and found guilty of misrepresentation and what you see is part of the court settlement.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Okee dokee.
Thanks.

What the heck is FPT anyway??
Torque is defined in Pounds Feet, and work is given as Foot Pounds
So, FPT is not torque? Some legally correct term?

(ed...I watched the DR video on chippers and they clearly stated...Foot Pounds Torque)

Or, does it mean something completely different? (thanks, Monte Python...)

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Foot pound torque is a fancy way of saying the engine puts out this much muscle. Briggs engine may say 7.25 series which means the engine is rated at 7.25 foot pounds of torque.