Found this quote from a Toro rep concerning the AWD LawnBoy: 1 inch of growth?

lewb

Threads
  • / Found this quote from a Toro rep concerning the AWD LawnBoy: 1 inch of growth?
Response from Toro

May 14, 2016

We do not recommend cutting off more than 1/3 of the blade of grass and no more than 1" of grass at a time. We invite you to check out our How-To video called "Mowing Tips for a Beautiful Lawn". This video includes several quality of cut tips to assist you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBQMcjYwtjc. If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact our customer care center for further information on this subject at 1-800-526-6937. Toro

Is that because the Kohler 149 cc does not have enough power to cut more than an inch at a time? My neighbor has poulan with same kohler in an awd that routinely bogs when grass is not cut more than once a week from what I have observed this spring.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Found this quote from a Toro rep concerning the AWD LawnBoy: 1 inch of growth?
It is because it is unhealthy for the lawn to cut more then 1/3 at a time. Has nothing to do with the mower or the engine.
I am betting your friend has the deck as low as it will go.
I see it all the time guys let the grass get 6 inches tall then cut it down to 1/2 a inch.
Makes me want to yell at them.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
And a 5hp mower is not made to cut 3 inches of grass.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
+1 on most you have been told so far.
Apart from that the underside of the deck is designed to flow a particular maximun volume of grass, after that it chokes then puts too much resistance of the air flow so the grass blows out the sides and the kawn ends up looking like it was cut with pinking shears.

The mower has more than enough Hp to cut that much grass.