Flywheel Magnets pull Carb Linkage

Bing38rt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I'm having this issue, I cleaned the flywheel with a wire brush on a drill and now I noticed the magnets on the flywheel are pulling the Carb to Governor linkage everytime around.

Is there a way I can stop this ?

when I was cleaning the rust off I noticed the flywheel magnets sparking and crackling while I used the drill with wire wheel on it.

Do I have to replace the magnet(s) now, I'm thinking I took sum kind of coating off them ?? And now it it seems way too strong.

It's just a 6.5hp craftsman self-propelled Pushmower... The main magnet has a hex key bolt, do I have to replace the magnet or is there a way to de-magnify the steel linkage ?

ANy and all help is appreciated

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lets start with the model number information from the engine tag, and possibly the model for the mower so we can see what you are working on. Sounds like something is out of place for that to occur.

Bing38rt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lets start with the model number information from the engine tag, and possibly the model for the mower so we can see what you are working on. Sounds like something is out of place for that to occur.

Craftsman 917.377550
Serial- 042398M 023210
Briggs and Stratton 12H802-2675-E1
Well that's what it says on the housing. I'm not sure if it's original to motor, but I'm assuming it is bc we've owned it since we bought new

Bing38rt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I put a replacement carb on, and I noticed it was a little different from the original. The original had a set screw on the top to adjust the rpms for lack of a better term. The new one doesnt have it and I think that may have something to do with it.

I knew I should have just rebuilt the original...

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Normally the governor linkage sits a fair distance from the flywheel. But it is possible to get the governor linkage snagged under the blower housing or metal shielding and will cause the issue that you describe. Make sure that the governor arm to throttle on the carb isn't stuck under something or rubbing. And it goes to the outside of the blower housing.

Bing38rt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok. It doesn't seem like it. It seems like it runs through the housing and there is a square cutout for the linkage to run through.

There was a small grey sheet steel bracket or guard that protects the flywheel that I never put back on bc the magnetic pull from the flywheel bent it out of shape ... But I'll try ripping back apart and moving the linkage and bending flywheel guard back into shape.

Thank you so much for helping me, 🙏 I really do appreciate the help and quick response.

Now I just gotta figure out my my Kabota L3901 is low on power with the emission light and beeper going off Lol

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok. It doesn't seem like it. It seems like it runs through the housing and there is a square cutout for the linkage to run through.

There was a small grey sheet steel bracket or guard that protects the flywheel that I never put back on bc the magnetic pull from the flywheel bent it out of shape ... But I'll try ripping back apart and moving the linkage and bending flywheel guard back into shape.

Thank you so much for helping me, 🙏 I really do appreciate the help and quick response.

Now I just gotta figure out my my Kabota L3901 is low on power with the emission light and beeper going off Lol
Failed Regen. Sounds like it has gone into limp mode. May need dealer intervention to connect the computer to force a regen if not something like a failed DPF.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW
Never ever touch the flywheel magnets
removing the rust is awste of time and makes absolutely no difference to how the engine runs
It is a fruphy that some idiot , no brained , moronic , puss bag ego maniac posted on Face Ache so every other total idiot repeats it because in their stupid and totally ignorant minds they think it makes them sound smart where as in reality it is a 10' sign that says " I am a blithering idiot with no idea what I am pratteling on about so do not listen to a word I say "

Bing38rt

Forum Newbie
Threads
FWIW
Never ever touch the flywheel magnets
removing the rust is awste of time and makes absolutely no difference to how the engine runs
It is a fruphy that some idiot , no brained , moronic , puss bag ego maniac posted on Face Ache so every other total idiot repeats it because in their stupid and totally ignorant minds they think it makes them sound smart where as in reality it is a 10' sign that says " I am a blithering idiot with no idea what I am pratteling on about so do not listen to a word I say "

Listen, I didn't watch a YouTube video then decide to work on my equipment. I've been repairing small engines since I was a kid for 15years now. The fucking flywheel had a layer of rust that I had never seen in my 15 years. It's like the fucker sat at the bottom of a salt water lake. And FUCK YOU I came here for help and you insult me.... Your a special kinda asshole arnt ya

Bing38rt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Normally the governor linkage sits a fair distance from the flywheel. But it is possible to get the governor linkage snagged under the blower housing or metal shielding and will cause the issue that you describe. Make sure that the governor arm to throttle on the carb isn't stuck under something or rubbing. And it goes to the outside of the blower housing.

Does not go on the outside of the blower housing, it runs through it and come out the square cut out for it