Repairs First post first riding Mower, safety switch help

grey1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I just bought a Craftsman 917 256522 15.5 hp B and S. It drove and mowed fine when I bought it but after an hour ride on the trailer it started acting up. First it started fine but when I tried to engage the transmission it just died. After a bit of messing with it it did not want to start at all. It turned over but did not start. I had a friend look at it the spark plug was shot so i replaced it, he said the magneto might be bad but considering it ran the day before I did not agree that was the problem. So after doing some reading here I tried again after unplugging the magneto ground wire. It fired right up. So now I know it is a safety switch problem what is the best way to figure out with switch is bad? Thanks for any help

hrdman2luv

Threads
Hi all, I just bought a Craftsman 917 256522 15.5 hp B and S. It drove and mowed fine when I bought it but after an hour ride on the trailer it started acting up. First it started fine but when I tried to engage the transmission it just died. After a bit of messing with it it did not want to start at all. It turned over but did not start. I had a friend look at it the spark plug was shot so i replaced it, he said the magneto might be bad but considering it ran the day before I did not agree that was the problem. So after doing some reading here I tried again after unplugging the magneto ground wire. It fired right up. So now I know it is a safety switch problem what is the best way to figure out with switch is bad? Thanks for any help

Do you have a tester? Check out youtube. There are plenty of video's that show you how to test them. It's pretty easy. The hardest part is getting them in and out to test them...

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Begin there at that wire you disconnected and work backward through the system until you find the switch that doesn't cause your meter to show continuity from wire to ground or your simple little test light to activate. When you get to that switch you've most likely found the culprit. But not always if there are more switches in the grounding safety circuit beyond that switch.

You need a test instrument that has real small needle like test probes that the wire insulation can be pierced so the switches can be tested on the machine.

Some switches may be dual circuit ie appears it has 4 wires ( in reality that's only 2 wires with broken ends that the switch connects ) . Example: The switch will complete the circuit of 2 wires for the cranking circuit but connect the other 2 wires for the safety shut down circuit as the plunger is moved from one position to the other extreme.

I suggest you locate the manual that has the wire schematic to assist in this maize of safety switches.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Manual Craftsman Tractor 917256522 | SearsPartsDirect manual at bottom left of screen & go to page 29 wiring schematic. You need to purchase a multimeter tool at sears about $20 instructions included and isolate problem. Let us know what you find.
Check 30 amp fuse to see if it is blown," hands on " inspect all wiring and connections for being loose, corroded, bare wire, broken wire, making sure everything is tight and secure including ground straps & cables. You need to adjust valves also.

Results engine manual with valve specs.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/u...manuals/repair-manual-for-single-cylinder-ohv your engine repair manual if you so wish.

Last edited:

grey1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / First post first riding Mower, safety switch help
Well no luck, I tested seat switch,clutch/brake switch and blade switch. All worked as they should. Now not only can I not get it to turn over when i turn the key the fuse pops every time. Now what??

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / First post first riding Mower, safety switch help
Well no luck, I tested seat switch,clutch/brake switch and blade switch. All worked as they should. Now not only can I not get it to turn over when i turn the key the fuse pops every time. Now what??

Results If fuse blows every time you try to crank engine you have a failed carburetor solenoid diode located in harness to fuel solenoid.

Download operators manual at bottom left of screen, pages 27-29, troubleshooting chart & wiring schematic.

Last edited: