First lawn mower choice help sub $400

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The only thing about yard machines and mtd brand mowers I don't like is the transmission and wheels. It's all very cheaply made and will not stand up to the test of time (home owner) the deck, engine, handle and bag are all fine and with care will last a long time.

Now I like the MTD transmission just forward and reverse no gears to mess with.

And the wheels are about the same as others bit they use cheap bushings.
Thing I don't like is the steering they use plastic bushings but you can get the brass ones that last a lot longer.

Now I do not really know about the push mowers as I really just used snapper.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well we are talking about push mowers. Riding mowers are a different story in my opinion all lawn and garden tractors are equal. Some just have more expensive names.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well we are talking about push mowers. Riding mowers are a different story in my opinion all lawn and garden tractors are equal. Some just have more expensive names.

Yeah I kinda remembered that as I was typing.

OutdoorEnvy

Threads
Is the toro much more powerful?

190cc Briggs Stratton vs 159cc cub cadet. Does cub cadet really make it?

I wanna make sure whatever I get isn't going to bog down if it hits some meaty or tall grass

I haven't used the 159cc cub cadet but I''ve been using the 190cc B&S the last 4 years and have nothing but good things to say about it. It has plenty of power for thick and tall grass. It's been a great engine and easy to maintain.

Irrivirsible

Threads
I am just a homeowner who believes in researching before buying. I was ready to pull the trigger on either the Cub Cadet SC 100 or Troy-Bilt TB110 until I saw the molded plastic piece that holds the handles onto the mower and the rubber flap on the rear bottom. It is the same on the SC 500z and self propelled models in the other brand lines made by the same company. It is on Craftsman, Troy-Bilt, MTD, and probably every other brand they make. There is a bolt that goes through the handle and has a nut on the other end, there is a plastic knob on top that turns and tightens it against the plastic pieces Even when tight you get some flex on the handle and if you try to really crank it down the plastic pieces to the left and right that you are tightening against start to bend. If you go to the following website and look at the third row down and last picture on the right and click on it to enlarge it you will see the area I am referring to. I looked at it real close in person and this is a deal breaker for me. Husqvarna, Toro and Honda make mowers with some kind of a metal bracket that attaches the handle to the mower so I will go for one of those brands. These pictures are from the exact mower you mentioned.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sc+...:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

Another review of the mower you are looking at.
The Best Walk-Behind Lawnmowers: Comparison Test - Popular Mechanics

Last edited:

Irrivirsible

Threads
Weird, the goolge search url might bring you to a different set of pictures, if it does click on one and than scroll through until you see the one of the right rear wheel area close up.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am just a homeowner who believes in researching before buying. I was ready to pull the trigger on either the Cub Cadet SC 100 or Troy-Bilt TB110 until I saw the molded plastic piece that holds the handles onto the mower and the rubber flap on the rear bottom. It is the same on the SC 500z and self propelled models in the other brand lines made by the same company. It is on Craftsman, Troy-Bilt, MTD, and probably every other brand they make. There is a bolt that goes through the handle and has a nut on the other end, there is a plastic knob on top that turns and tightens it against the plastic pieces Even when tight you get some flex on the handle and if you try to really crank it down the plastic pieces to the left and right that you are tightening against start to bend. If you go to the following website and look at the third row down and last picture on the right and click on it to enlarge it you will see the area I am referring to. I looked at it real close in person and this is a deal breaker for me. Husqvarna, Toro and Honda make mowers with some kind of a metal bracket that attaches the handle to the mower so I will go for one of those brands. These pictures are from the exact mower you mentioned.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sc+...:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

Another review of the mower you are looking at.
The Best Walk-Behind Lawnmowers: Comparison Test - Popular Mechanics

The molded plastic piece that holds the handles onto the mower and the rubber flap on the rear bottom are basic standard equipment on most mowers in form or another especially those with two piece handles and the cheaper model mowers that are available.

Irrivirsible

Threads
Here is a Husqvarna 7021P. $40.00 more than the Cub Cadet SC 100 but it has a Honda engine, ball bearing wheels and a better handle mount or at least it looks like it does to me. Clicking the picture will enlarge it for more detail. Sorry, I know the OP is looking for a self propelled and this is not. I am just showing the difference.

Husqvarna 7021P.jpg

cubguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a Cub Cadet Mower I just picked up from HD last week. Just assembled it which was a quick 5 minutes. No worries with the quality. Has a B&S engine made in the USA. I'm in Canada and I researched which engines were made in china and the 675 Quantum is not one of those engines so that helped me make up my mind. U just have to get some gas and oil in there and see what she can do.