First Impressions of my M-ZT 61

Devious6

Threads
I just finished cutting our property for the first time using the M-ZT 61. I have to say.....this thing is friggin' awesome!!!!!! :thumbsup: My normal cut time has been 5.5 hours on the old graden tractor. Today I logged a total of 2.5 hours of blade time. Amazing.

I am really pleased with the performance of the mower. It handles well and I was able to learn to maneuver it pretty quickly. The only thing that I noticed from a negative perspective is that the weight of the rear end can cause problems on sloped areas - especially if the grass is a little moist. There are a few places where I have no choice but to cut on a side hill and several times I felt the rear end slip around. Has anyone else had the same experience?

I would definitely recommend this mowe.:smile:

RatRacer

Threads
Awesome Mark. How does it feel to get 3 hours back?:wink:
The sliding is a byproduct of the turf saver tires. Putting on heavier lugged tread is a way to correct this, but you risk tearing up the lawn easier as a draw back, plus the added $$$.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Awesome Mark. How does it feel to get 3 hours back?:wink:
The sliding is a byproduct of the turf saver tires. Putting on heavier lugged tread is a way to correct this, but you risk tearing up the lawn easier as a draw back, plus the added $$$.

I would add that sometimes dropping the psi a couple of pounds on the rear tires may yield better traction too. Also, what "brand" tires come on those M-ZT's??? My Gravely has Kenda's and I really like their performance.

MITCHELL22

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would add that sometimes dropping the psi a couple of pounds on the rear tires may yield better traction too. Also, what "brand" tires come on those M-ZT's??? My Gravely has Kenda's and I really like their performance.

My Husqvarna RZ4824F has the Kenda's I'm running the recommended 15psi all the way around. I rarely slip on some of my hillsides, if it is wet I will fill it a little bit. Mine only weighs 600lbs though. I'm sure the M-ZT and Gravely weigh a lot more with larger rear wheels. Mine only has the 18 x 9.50 tires. A friend of mine has the M-ZT, he says he is running around 12 psi in the rears.

Devious6

Threads
Not sure on the make of the tires - will look tonight - but they are 23X10.5-12".

Devious6

Threads
The ties on my M-ZT 61 are "Premier."

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
The ties on my M-ZT 61 are "Premier."

I'd still try running the rear tires at 2-3psi less than the recommended presure in the manual before investing in a different brand/tread pattern tire. Let us know if that improves the slipping.

Devious6

Threads
I'd still try running the rear tires at 2-3psi less than the recommended presure in the manual before investing in a different brand/tread pattern tire. Let us know if that improves the slipping.

Agreed. I really don't want to/need to invest in different tires. I will try running with a lighter pressure - and I think I'll get more smooth and strategic in how I approach my cutting as I get more time on the mower.

Thanks!!

Mark

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agreed. I really don't want to/need to invest in different tires. I will try running with a lighter pressure - and I think I'll get more smooth and strategic in how I approach my cutting as I get more time on the mower.

Thanks!!

Mark

I meant to ask before, but when you are cutting on the slopes are you cutting sideways on the hill or up and down the hill?? I'm trying to remember(I don't have any significant grades on my property) but user Ric mentions from time to time that for mowing grades on a ZTR, which of those methods is preferable/safest(versus which method to use for a lawn tractor...I'm pretty certain they are the "opposite"). That can make a big difference for those of us who are new to a ZTR and aren't sure the correct direction to use when mowing grades.

Devious6

Threads
The recommended way is to cut up/down the slope. Certainly, that is the safest way. Unfortunately, that's not always possible - for example, I have to cut around our lake and it has a slope around the edge. I can't cut into the lake. :smile: So, there are a few places like that where I have no choice but to cut side hill.