Finding a replacement for a carb that is no longer available

Mickrick

Threads
  • / Finding a replacement for a carb that is no longer available
Forgive my ignorance but, in general, is it possible to replace a carb that is no longer available (in my case, a Walbro WA163) with a newer model with a bit of 'fettling' or once they're gone, they're gone? It seems such a shame to have to scrap a whole strimmer because the carb can't be gotten going again.
With so many different models, is there some magical list somewhere with the closest equivalent to a discontinued carb?
Thanks in advance.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Walbro as far as I can find has not NLA the WA-163-1 carburetor. Both of my Walbro is still showing pricing on it along with Walbro themselves.

I also found one new one on eBay.

Mickrick

Threads
Walbro as far as I can find has not NLA the WA-163-1 carburetor. Both of my Walbro is still showing pricing on it along with Walbro themselves.

I also found one new one on eBay.
Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately, they don't ship to the UK where I am.
Will take a look at European suppliers though. Nothing on ebay.co.uk...
Cheers

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A carb is a carb is a carb is a carb and the engine does not give a wrinkled rats rectum what brand it is just so long as it can supply an air fuel mix at around 14:1
Cube carbs are a bit more of a problem but a lot of them are actually identical with the only difference being where the choke & throttle are hooked up
Just about all of them have the same mounting centres but there will be problems like to position of the impulse hole to power the fuel pump .
And of course it needs to be as close the same size as possible or the trimmer will either be very sluggish or even run too lean and too lean at 10,000 rpm is not pretty .

Last edited:

Mickrick

Threads
Thanks once again for your help.