Filters

all the local shops stand strong behind not using a car filter. the filter is much bigger on the car filters. lawn mowers are usually in dirty dusty conditions whereas cars are not. they say never to use an automotive filter. not trying to insult anyone. just passing on the information i was told
 
I use napa gold in my mowers and dirt track car. So what would dust have to do with it. The dust/ dirt should not be getting in your oil. Now every engine builder I have talked to says stay away from FRAM they restrict the oil to much

Sent from my iPhone using LMF
 
Wix, Napa, Hastings, Purolator... Just about any Quality filter is going to be fine.. You can look up the cross reference tables... You will find that an auto filter will work fine, usually much better, (larger size filter media pack) and will cost a LOT less...
I also avoid Fram... :smile:KennyV
 
The reasons to not use a car filter is because the small engine filter has a anti drainback valve not found on car filters and also contains the pressure relief valve in the filter body, if the car filter would plug (not likely) it will starve the engine of oil because of no bypass feature if engine is full pressure lube system. a lot of the briggs engine still have a slinger system and all the oil pump and filter do is filter the oil. Has nothing to do with lube.
 
On the wix site you can check any of their filter specs...
It will give you micron filter beta, ByPass pressure and construction details including the presence of a anti drain back... Typical small engine spec filter info... Part Detail
Typical automotive & small engine filter spec... Part Detail
You can easily determine a cross reference by going to the look up site. WIX filters, WIX oil filters, WIX air filters, WIX fuel filters, WIX Heavy Duty Oil Filters : Filter Look-Up Then on the vehicle type select Off Highway Equipment... then just select equipment make OR engine in the drop downs...
Just a little bit of comparing specs will put you on a track to better availability & priced expendable parts... :smile:KennyV
 
So talking about filters, today I went to the MF dealer located in my area about 20 miles from my home. Anyway, when I got there I asked for an air filter for my MF2310. The first question was did you buy it here? My response was no. So he said he would check. When he returned he informed me that he did not have any filters and BTW, we are no long a MF dealer we dropped the line. Sorry we can't help you. I guess his supplier only has filter to fit the tractor he sold:thumbdown:

Keep in mind that I had recently checked at my local supplier he sells WIK's filters. He did not have any listing for my filter number. He did suggest a local Baldwin supplier. So from the tractpr dealer I drove 25 miles (back towards my house). The supplier is a truck parts and repair center. I was told a baldwin filter would cost $100.00. I responded not likely. Then on my way home I remembered that people on this site have suggested NAPA for supplies. The could get on and their price was $45.00 + tax.

I decided to wait and I'd check the internet. My filter is a AGCO I could not find my number. I also checked for a MF dealer I would need to go to NH maybe 70 miles from here:thumbdown:

Oh, I did order from NAPA. It will be in tomorrow.

All of this traveling was done with my Ford 250SD, 6.8 l, It loves gas.
 
Back
Top