Figuring Pricing

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
How do you guys go about pricing work like cutting brush and undergrowth. NO mowing just trimming bushes and cutting limbs and hauling out to the road for city to pick up and haul off.

I had a guy call me this morning and he wants to hire me to do this work on his dad's place for his dad's birthday.

Probably two acres or more if memory serves me correctly I cut his brother's yard one time last Summer.

Chainsaw and hedge trimmers and possibly brush cutter......

I have been estimating how much time a job will take and charging $25 per hour. Any input will be appreciated.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
How do you guys go about pricing work like cutting brush and undergrowth. NO mowing just trimming bushes and cutting limbs and hauling out to the road for city to pick up and haul off.

I had a guy call me this morning and he wants to hire me to do this work on his dad's place for his dad's birthday.

Probably two acres or more if memory serves me correctly I cut his brother's yard one time last Summer.

Chainsaw and hedge trimmers and possibly brush cutter......

I have been estimating how much time a job will take and charging $25 per hour. Any input will be appreciated.

I cut a hillside it was about 100 feet long and 40 feet wide I priced it and charged it 150 cause the brush was tall as me and then to keep it cut down I charge them 50-75 depending on the height :thumbsup:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I cut a hillside it was about 100 feet long and 40 feet wide I priced it and charged it 150 cause the brush was tall as me and then to keep it cut down I charge them 50-75 depending on the height :thumbsup:

Did you base that on how much time it takes and $$ per hour.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

Some would say $150 was a little cheap but it got you a more work. I would have bid it the same way in the long run you make more money.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
No I give a rate on how much I fell it is and work With the person that need it done :thumbsup:

Ok thanks.

I did a job on some overgrown stuff that was really tough around a house. I just walked it and looked at each segment and asked myself what would I cut that and haul it off for? Then added the segments up and gave them a price. it worked out to about $25 and hour when I got through. That was the first job I ever bid on of that type. I made out ok on that one but I could see where I could get way off either way on some jobs doing that. I am just looking and learning.

Thanks for the input.

Steve0853

Threads
My son and I occasionally get into some trimming and clearing request also.

You don't say where you are from, but we are in central NC.

We figure limbing, trimming, hauling different than straight lawn mowing. It's a lot more of a skill job and pole saws, chain saws, and other equipment required costs a lot and you have to allow for that equipment costs. Also, every Tom, Dick, and Harry up and down the road wants to mow grass. Not many folks will do trimming, clearing, and hauling.

We give a total price before we start and we've never had anyone to say we were too high. On a rare occasion, the job was easier than we thought and we reduced the price. We never charge more than we quote and have been burned a time or two, but that's how is goes once in a while.

If you are by yourself, $25/hour above and beyond gas, dump fees, and equipment amortization is pretty good. For me and my son, that would be $50/hour since there are two of us. Remember, if you are hauling and dumping, your time needs to include that time even after you have left their property.

After you have done a few, you'll have a sense of what to look out for. If you want to make $25/hour for your time, you probably need to charge about $35/hour to allow for gas, equipment, and prep time.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
Ok thanks.

I did a job on some overgrown stuff that was really tough around a house. I just walked it and looked at each segment and asked myself what would I cut that and haul it off for? Then added the segments up and gave them a price. it worked out to about $25 and hour when I got through. That was the first job I ever bid on of that type. I made out ok on that one but I could see where I could get way off either way on some jobs doing that. I am just looking and learning.

Thanks for the input.

Another good thing to try would be think to your self am i going to make more money charging a rate or by the hour think when charging by the hour is it gonning to take longer and make more that way an hour or a flat rate :thumbsup::smile::banana::banana::banana::banana::2cents::2cents:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another good thing to try would be think to your self am i going to make more money charging a rate or by the hour think when charging by the hour is it gonning to take longer and make more that way an hour or a flat rate :thumbsup::smile::banana::banana::banana::banana::2cents::2cents:

I bid two jobs today. Both are jobs pertaining to cutting bushes down and getting rid of them. Both will only have to have the debris taken to the road where the city will remove it. Both wanted me to give a bid price.

I got a call tonight and I got one of them. I bid $450 on this job and I am banking on doing it by myself and it taking about 16 hours. If it works out I will make decent money.

Most of the work will be with a chainsaw and a brush cutter head or polesaw on my trimmer...... I will haul the material out to the road with my craftsman tractor and the cart I pull behind it....

Above Par Lawns

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a call tonight and I got one of them. I bid $450 on this job and I am banking on doing it by myself and it taking about 16 hours. If it works out I will make decent money.

Most of the work will be with a chainsaw and a brush cutter head or polesaw on my trimmer...... I will haul the material out to the road with my craftsman tractor and the cart I pull behind it....
$450.00 seems a little low for a 16 hour job. I'm not sure what size job you're doing but 16 hours is a long *** time it sounds like. Are you a real business or just a guy making cash on the side?