FH580V replacement

Schmacker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been looking for a replacement engine for my Toro Zmaster. The repair shop said the FH580v-AS03 was being replaced by a FH580V=ES21. However, one of the online supply houses just told me that all FH series Kawasaki engines have been discontinued and that I may have trouble in the future getting support or replacement parts. He recommended a Honda replacement engine which is about 25% more expensive.

Is it worth it to spend the extra $400-$500?

My Kawasaki seemed to run hot (it melted the throttle cable sheaths) and I'm now told that is a common thing in these Kawasaki engines. In your experience is this true of false?

Since these are fairly interchangeable, which one would you recommend to replace it with and why?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So what model Honda did he recommend ?
Honda were the best engines by a long shot after Onan closed down but as far as I know they ceased making large capacity mower engines around 5 years ago in the USA.
Honda Europe still make Vertical shaft engines but most are under 15 Hp as European mowers are generally smaller than USA ones.

As for lack of Kawakasi parts, it has not been a problem down here but then again there are no 20 year old mowers thet were fitted with Kawasaki vertical shaft engines.