Fertilizing a veggie garden

Gabi

Threads
My veggie garden is almost done, should I be putting some fertilizer on it and tilling all the leftovers under or pull them all out and starting anew in the spring? I think my granddad used to till it all under and fertilize in the fall then "fluff" it up again in the spring but I cannot remember.

grnspot110

Threads
That's the best way to go, but use a lower Nitrogen fertilizer in the Fall! Something like a 6-24-24 mix. ~~ grnspot110

Flossie

Threads
My veggie growing friend has a soil analysis test done at the end of the season. She uses the results of this to decide how much fertiliser is needed for the next crop. She says it changes depending on what you are planning to grow next year. For instance peas and beans need less than carrots.

mowsby

Threads
Can you use composted dirt as a fertilizer or do you have to go with something like cow manure. What makes the best fall fertilizer?

Gabi

Threads
I think my folks have some Sheep manure, does anyone know the numbers for the chemicals in the sheep manure or should I just go to Lowe's and buy a bag already labelled? I am so new to this I must sound like a fool.

Twinkle

Threads
Gabi you can use sheep manure, like all organic fertiliser it is rich in nutrients. However, you do need to compost it first as it is considered 'hot'. If you want to read more about animal droppings and your garden check this out.

Mr.McGinty

Threads
Nice article, thanks. I was disappointed to not see goat poop there though! I always think vegetables grown in organically manured land taste better somehow. (I just don't say that in front of my kids as I know what the reaction would be!)

Gabi

Threads
I think the stuff at my parent's house is old and composted. It has been there for many years and my dad used to add other things to it like coffee grounds, food scraps and the like, except meat, he would never put meat in his compost pile.

noodle

Threads
Hrm, seems like the best fertilizer is poop. If sheep's poop is on there why is goat's poop not on there. Aren't they pretty much the same animal?

Gabi

Threads
They are actually different animals, they have different digestive systems, a goat will eat everything, including clothes and such, a sheep is not that diverse with their tastes. I know baby sheep need special formula whereas baby goats can drink cows milk.