Ferris Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

ferrisbestyet

Threads
Greetings from Lacey's Spring, AL. I have never paid more than $400 for a push mower, but we moved to the country, and we've got hills out here, and my knee and back aren't getting any younger, so I figured it was time to go with the riding mower... Just didn't like the lack of leg room on a traditional riding mower (I'm 6'6"), so I started looking at zero turns - most are laid out with a lot more leg room. The eXmark Quest s-series and the Bad Boy ZT Elite were in the running until I saw a Ferris IS700ZT, and, well, that primal feeling, sort of hard to describe...

But, I have approx. 1/2 acre of lawn right now, with plans to take that up to 1 acre, and perhaps another acre of meadow. So this is probably massive overkill... Still, I don't want to be sorry with the purchase of something I'll keep for a long time.

So my real question is: is it better to have a larger deck on a smaller unit (e.g. a 48" deck on a IS600Z) or a smaller deck on a larger unit (52" deck on a IS700Z). Honestly, I imagine the IS600Z is fine for getting the job done, so I would guess it is a question of maneuverability versus having enough engine not to bog down on cutting a meadow?

I'd be grateful for your thoughts!
The 48" deck on a IS600Z will work just fine,,,This is what I own ,,,You wiil love the Ferris Very easy on the arsk.....This machine is built like a tank ,,The Ferris cuts even up or down hills ,,,The others DONT,,,

Attachments

• 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 19

ktrails

Forum Newbie
Threads
The 48" deck on a IS600Z will work just fine,,,This is what I own ,,,You wiil love the Ferris Very easy on the arsk.....This machine is built like a tank ,,The Ferris cuts even up or down hills ,,,The others DONT,,,

I drove about 40 miles to a dealer who had an IS600Z in stock. I was really disappointed - not in the machine, but in the shape it was in. Looked like it had been outside for YEARS - lots of rust on the engine / exhaust, all the labels peeling off, and the clear plastic caps were completely white / cloudy. Checked with another dealer who had the best price I could find, but he keeps his machines outside as well, said a little rust was no big deal.

I've ordered a machine from a small local shop - paid a little more, but they keep them inside, and it will arrive with 0 hours on it. I'll keep mine inside, take good care of it, and want it to start out looking new. Can't wait!

ferrisbestyet

Threads
HAAAAAAAAA Same thing happen to me ,,,,,,,,I Had a dealer 5o miles from me in La,,)Minden La) He had only one in stock, that was a demo,,,, It was scratched was not shinny new,,, When I pay over 5000 for a mower ,I want to be the one to bend or abuse it ,,,,, Found a dealer in Texas about 70 miles from me that had one in the box, He brought it to me ,,, saved the tax ,,( and got a brand new one ) Keep it garaged and like new,,,,,My last mover (Gravely) lasted 12 years and still looked good when it finally pooped out,,,,,Glad you got what you wanted . Good Luck Frank Shreveport la h a n d

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 26

blc3492

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. Just checking in. My old 2009 Cub Cadet RZT had a hydrogear go out so I replaced it with a shiny new IS700z 52".

WOW - no comparison. I used it this past Saturday and can't wait till I need to mow again!!

Great forum - have already read and learned a lot about the Ferris brand.

SARG

Threads
Hey ... New Ferris owner from upstate NY. A friend recently decided he had enough of New York State and moved to Texas where his new house has a postage stamp lawn.

He sold me his IS1500ZX with 50 hours on it. It is indeed a beast compared to the other five garden tractors I've accumulated.

The first trip across my lawn I snagged the anchor cable off my power pole with the ROPS. Good thing for me the cable popped off the pole instead of flipping me upside down. Yesterday the battery died and a load test let me know it was doomed. New battery today from Wallyworld.

My wife loves the machine and I suspect my next goal will be to install a B&M supercooler into the hydraulic system. Seems the larger machines come from the factory with a cooler.

Hope to learn about the Ferris machines here.

vegetable68

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello fellow Ferris users,

I'm based in the UK and have been running a 1998 vintage Hydrowalk 48 for about 8 years. Just use it for domestic (about 2 acres of lawn & rough grass). Its a bit beaten up and has had a few issues but I love the manoeuvrability and the fact that I can cut under low hanging branches. I've been servicing it myself and have ordered parts from the US rather than paying UK dealers more than double. You guys wouldn't believe how much ferris mowers and parts cost in the UK.

As I get older I'm finding it harder to grip the constrols for long periods of time but can't find an alternative that's as good....

Jon (in sunny Norfolk)

cubbies.fan12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought a new Ferris IS2100Z! Got it from Bruno's Powersports in Arkansas. Free delivery and no sales tax was great. Great people over there, I really enjoy my mower

sduncan000

Threads

I run an IS2000Z 52" deck and I have about 4 acres with lots of trees. I find the size pretty much perfect as I can get through most smaller spaces, and yet can still circle any tree without difficulty.

greenguy

Threads
Just purchased an IS2100Z 61" 28 HP EFI on 7-1-16. After 40 some years of mowing with tractors, I have some learning to do with this machine. Hope to learn some helpful tips on maintaining and improving this machine.

Buckethead

Threads
Hi, I just got a 2016 Ferris is600z with Kawasaki and 48" deck. So far only mowed once and learning the steering. I have only used lawn tractors since I started mowing my acre in 1979. Greased all zerks as soon as I got it and checked oil. Installed a K&N air filter and will be changing to synthetic oil after break in. Glad to join this group.