Export thread

FERRIS 1500Z W BAGGER TEARING UP MY LAWN???

A

ALLEDAR

I HAVE A 2005 FERRIS 1500z 225 HRS. W 48" DECK 21 KAWI AND FAST VAC IT HAS HAD A WHEEL MOTOR REPLACED AND NEW PARTS FROM FERRIS WITHOUT SUCCESS. UPHILL TURNS ARE DIGGING UP MY LAWN AND IT SEEMS UNRELATED TO SPEED.WHEN I ACCELERATE IN A STRAIGHT LINE IT WILL ALSO STRIP GRASS TO THE SOIL. FERRIS DEALERS HAVE DONE THE WORK AND HAVE RETREATED TO THE SAFE RESPONSE OF IT MUST BE YOU GO S L O W E R . IT DOESNT SEEM TO HELP AND I DO NOT WANT TO SPEND HOURS CUTTING MY LAWN. I AM CLOSE TO SELLNG IT AND GOING EXMARK. THOUGHTS-SUGGESTIONS- IDEAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twall

twall

WELCOME TO LMF! :biggrin:

I THINK THAT QUESTION WOULD GET A QUICKER RESPONSE IN THE FERRIS FORUM.

Oops, my caps lock stuck, too:wink: :laughing:

K

KennyV

Hello ALLEDAR
Welcome to the forum...
twall Is right, try with caps lock OFF, it makes things easier to read, and these posts are meant to be read...
Also it allows the ability to type something with emphasis when you switch to capps...

To your problem with your Ferris, I don't think it's SPEED related... those are designed to mow at speed...
Has it always had this problem? OR did it develop to the point of needing a wheel motor replaced?
Is there any difference with the FAST-Vac bags full or empty?
The problem with acceleration is it BOTH wheels or only the one?

Ferris makes a good machine, this should not be imposable to figure out... :smile:KennyV

A

ALLEDAR

Kenny V: I have a had the problem for several years but it became most destructive when I put the fast vac on last year. I have had the right wheel motor replaced (looking at the tractor from the rear) it virtually had no effect. I have tried both increasing and then decreasing the pressure in both front and rear tires, without effect. The weight of the bagger (grass or leaf content) does not seem to intensify the problem. I have had the bagger removed and it improves the problem i.e. decreases from horrific to awful. I have talked to Ferris repair several times and they offered to replace small parts that adjust the steering that they would pay for and I did have the parts changed. I am still open to the idea that it is me and even going slow the problem reoccurs, most pronounced on left hand uphill turns where the wheel motor replacement is on the down side. I have a recommendation from the dealer to change the pumps, given the wheel motor was $800.00, I do not want to start the " lets try this approach, ok that didn't work lets try that instead". I am optimistic that someone on the forum has familiarity with this issue and can narrow down the options. I have read many of your your responses to other question posed by members and you sound quite knowledgeable hope you can help.

K

KennyV

ALLEDAR...
I'm not positive but I think Ferris uses Hydro-gear pumps and wheel motors, They have a great reputation and I can not understand why your dealer could not determine that there was a problem with the pump vs wheel motor, they should NEVER have to try the R&R approach to fix a hydraulic problem... pressure gages and flow meters will find the problem...
The pump should feather smoothly from stop to full speed without any sudden acceleration..

If I am understanding this correctly, it is only doing this on the right side, correct? :smile:KennyV

A

ALLEDAR

Kenny V: ( I lost the reply to you, or at least I can not find it, so if it appears twice you will know why). Hydro dear does O.E.M. the wheel motors for Ferris. The problem seems to occur on both sides although the right side ( w. motor rplct. side) is the predominant destuctive issue. The wheel motor was replaced by a dealer who was unable to resolve the problem. I sent the 1500z to another dealer who worked with Ferris for two weeks to diagnose and repair the problem. while replacing some steering parts. I believe the second dealer convinced Ferris Repair the issue was user error then billed me $275. and sent the tractor back. I am hesitant to get involved with any more dealers as I anticipate more cost and continued problems. I will attempt to find someone to work on site to perform flow studies as you suggest, I have had it with the transportation charges as their are only two dealers one at 20+miles and the other at 40 miles. I will update you when I can report some progress.

twall

twall

I don't think Kenny is a Ferris mechanic, or a philosopher on hydromechanical systems as your posts would suggest the need thereof (although he might be)....your question seems to need professional advice. If Kenny can adequately advise you, I'd forevermore deem him in the esteem of kings and nobles of hydro and mechanical conduit.......but, I digress.

This discussion is still happening under 'site discussion' and not 'Ferris forum', which is why I post at all. This is a Ferris issue, and I think this should at least be moved unto the kingdom of the Ferris subject matter, since it has not any merit being in the 'site discussion' domain here.

THERE IS A FERRIS FORUM HERE. IF YOU'RE AFTER FREE ADVICE, BOTHER TO LOOK FOR IT IN THE RIGHT PLACE.

A

ALLEDAR

Twal: i did not realize that there was a policing function evaluating discussion, are you self appointed or do you have an official function. To broaden you understanding of the issue, this is not a Ferris issue it is a Zero Turn Issue. I expect there are hundreds of members who are very knopwledgeable about this issue and might be willing to provide advise or suggestions based on their experience, KennyV is one such person. The free issue I am confused about , do you normally charge for discussion ???

twall

twall

Twal: i did not realize that there was a policing function evaluating discussion, are you self appointed or do you have an official function. To broaden you understanding of the issue, this is not a Ferris issue it is a Zero Turn Issue. I expect there are hundreds of members who are very knopwledgeable about this issue and might be willing to provide advise or suggestions based on their experience, KennyV is one such person. The free issue I am confused about , do you normally charge for discussion ???

I'm just saying, I've seen a lot of people who just post a question in the little section at the bottom, rather than look for an appropriate place elsewhere in the site. That would lead me to think that said poster didn't really want to be a part of the overall community, just get a quick answer to a problem, and vanish. Yes, i think it's irritating.

This forum we are now in is for site issues. If you have a problem with the site acting up or something, or a suggestion to add more to the overall site, you post here.

Your question mentions Ferris over and over. It ISN'T a general issue, or you wouldn't have mentioned "FERRIS" in the title of the thread. I just said it'd be better placed in the Ferris forum, to be ignored. Fine - whatever. So, I posted a stronger suggestion that you take it to the Ferris forum. If you think it's for zero-turns in general, great - then post it in the General forum at the top of the page.

As far as free advice, you're not paying for it, are you (not even by contributing a tad in another forum)? You already stated that you don't want to go to the dealer again to get another no-fix 'solution'. I understand that. But, you could have at least LOOKED at the rest of the site (and perhaps found the appropriate forum to post in). That's my point. You were so in a hurry for an answer, you didn't even look at the rest of the site, did you? :rolleyes:

I actually wish there was a section right down here where people who are doing just that, can simply ask a question, without having to join the community. I've brought it up, but the risk of spammers/abuse are too great I guess. Now THAT'S site discussion! IN the 'site discussion' forum :biggrin:

B

Berniep

Well whatever section we are in and until they get it moved to an appropriate section I can still ask a question or two.
Does it jerk when you take off?
Does it do it in the same place always?
Have you tried it on turf in another location? ie. neighbors yard, dealer etc.
Sometimes certain conditions can make turf more susceptible to peeling up like that.
I am thinking it MAY be that it would happen with any zero turn mower.
Seems to me the mower would be very jerky to peel up healthy grass like that.
Mine tears up the ground less than my much lighter dixon did. (so far, only one mowing)

A

ALLEDAR

Berniep: I have a sloping hill a large flat front yard and a sloping (20 degree s) to my drive way and I have had the most issues with the 20 degree down slope which is where i have mentioned the destructive left hand uphill turns I do not feel a jerking on straightaways but I do find myself trying to minimize turns to avoid stripping. I have used a lawn service during a hospitalization and they used two 60" eXmarks with 27 Kawis and I did not experience the strip tears or the ruts. I hope I do not have to go to the eXmark Forum because I mentioned eXmark it seems like there are a lot of unspecified rules not consistent with a definition of a Forum. I am not necessarily looking for FREE but more specifically knowledge and experiential options. I have been been satisfied with the thought process that went into yours and KennV's questions and that is why I continued to provide as much information as I thought useful to the problem. I am certain there are many similarities in Z Turn mowers regardless of the manufacturer. Thanks

B

Berniep

Berniep: I have a sloping hill a large flat front yard and a sloping (20 degree s) to my drive way and I have had the most issues with the 20 degree down slope which is where i have mentioned the destructive left hand uphill turns I do not feel a jerking on straightaways but I do find myself trying to minimize turns to avoid stripping. I have used a lawn service during a hospitalization and they used two 60" eXmarks with 27 Kawis and I did not experience the strip tears or the ruts. I hope I do not have to go to the eXmark Forum because I mentioned eXmark it seems like there are a lot of unspecified rules not consistent with a definition of a Forum. I am not necessarily looking for FREE but more specifically knowledge and experiential options. I have been been satisfied with the thought process that went into yours and KennV's questions and that is why I continued to provide as much information as I thought useful to the problem. I am certain there are many similarities in Z Turn mowers regardless of the manufacturer. Thanks

Well this is an odd place to post a question about a mower as this forum section is for issues related to the website itself.
A more appropriate section would be the top one labeled "General mower discussion". You can find it by clicking "Forum" near the top left of this page.
Most folks would probably not generally even read this section so you are limiting your audience and potential for helpful suggestions. I only saw your post when I clicked today's posts which displays all posts made today no matter what forum section. I don't know how many folks use that option.
I dont think it matters whether you get free advice and never post again. I do get irritated when folks never follow up and leave us wondering, or worse, leave someone with the same problem wondering at the solution.

Now to your problem.
It is my GUESS that there are different conditions from when the ex-mark operators mowed your yard.
The ex-marks cant be that much lighter than your Ferris and ruts would be formed if the ex-mark guys would have mowed it now. As to the turns, there is a skill involved in making turns without tearing up your yard and those lawn service operators have many thousands of hours of experience and are adept at avoiding things that make customers complain.
I find that you cant just go wide open on the turns. You have to be careful and keep the inside wheel turning a little bit. This shouldn't slow you down a lot you can still go wide open on the straights.
And remember the pure physics of turning 1500+ lb machine takes some force.
I would expect your dealer to have already gone over this with you before selling you a wheel motor but you never know.

Jetblast

Jetblast

First it starts with wrong forum postin' and the next thing you know people are slow dancing and tearing tags off of mattresses. What kind of world do you want to live in??

Attachments

Jetblast

Jetblast

Always easy to overlook the cheap fixes, how's the air in your rear tires? If they're inflated to over 10-15 lbs. you might not be getting all the traction you need. It also may help to be extra mindful of smoothness on acceleration and take that extra second to get back up to speed on your way out of turns. On the uphill turns your inside rear tire is going to be a little light vs other scenarios, so turn your head and watch a few times to see what it takes to keep it from slipping as you make them. I wouldn't spend any more money on part until you're sure your technique is right on the money and your adjustments (like tire pressure) are as well. Good luck.

A

ALLEDAR

Thanks to those who responded, sorry to have annoyed the others. I will attempt to utilize the suggestions which seem relevant. Good Bye no need to respond.

Jetblast

Jetblast

Hey, don't worry. 99% of us weren't annoyed at all and I hate to see someone get chased off by something as trivial as posting in the wrong forum.

Give us another chance! Besides, I'm curious to see if tire air pressure had anything to do with it.

twall

twall

Jetblast said:
Hey, don't worry. 99% of us weren't annoyed at all and I hate to see someone get chased off by something as trivial as posting in the wrong forum.

Give us another chance! Besides, I'm curious to see if tire air pressure had anything to do with it.

As I said, I don't think he planned on sticking around anyhow. I agree with Berniep that when someone varnishes, it leaves everyone hanging as to what the problem turned out to be, or if one of the suggestions worked - and which one.

He wasn't 'chased off', he responed aplenty after I posted. He got what he wanted and left- and if that issue arises in a question again , I guess we'll never know.

Jetblast

Jetblast

As I said, I don't think he planned on sticking around anyhow. I agree with Berniep that when someone varnishes, it leaves everyone hanging as to what the problem turned out to be, or if one of the suggestions worked - and which one.

He wasn't 'chased off', he responed aplenty after I posted. He got what he wanted and left- and if that issue arises in a question again , I guess we'll never know.

I don't mind if folks post and run. I used to hang around electronics forums and got used to not hearing outcomes, often after going to great lengths to provide assistance. That's OK, I'm not in it for kudos and congratulations. I'm just in it to see if I can throw out a helpful idea and to keep my brain exercised. What does stink, as you said, is that other forum members with similar issues and people doing Google searches will find topics unresolved. Not much you can do about that though.

He may or may not have hung around, but I think you put that on him without giving the benefit of the doubt, which forced your own conclusion. No one's getting killed here, so I don't see much harm in keeping things light and letting people use this place as they see fit as long as they're not spamming, trolling, or repeatedly breaking forum rules and protocols. That's the way I see it, but I can't force everyone to do things my way. Like you, I have no authority here whatsoever. That said, I don't mean to bust your bean because you seem like a good guy 99.9% of the time, which greatly exceeds my current batting average. :smile: Hypocrisy is the American way and I'm a good American.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

I don't mind if folks post and run. I used to hang around electronics forums and got used to not hearing outcomes, often after going to great lengths to provide assistance. That's OK, I'm not in it for kudos and congratulations. I'm just in it to see if I can throw out a helpful idea and to keep my brain exercised. What does stink, as you said, is that other forum members with similar issues and people doing Google searches will find topics unresolved. Not much you can do about that though.

He may or may not have hung around, but I think you put that on him without giving the benefit of the doubt, which forced your own conclusion. No one's getting killed here, so I don't see much harm in keeping things light and letting people use this place as they see fit as long as they're not spamming, trolling, or repeatedly breaking forum rules and protocols. That's the way I see it, but I can't force everyone to do things my way. Like you, I have no authority here whatsoever. That said, I don't mean to bust your bean because you seem like a good guy 99.9% of the time, which greatly exceeds my current batting average. :smile: Hypocrisy is the American way and I'm a good American.

Good post.....and I'm liken the new avatar by the way.
Twall was just trying to point.... er ...shove er.... throw the guy to the right place. If he would have listened to Twall he may very well have gotten some useful info.
I was wondering if those hydraulic systems have a valve to regulate flow like a 3pt hitch does. Maybe the someone forgot to reset it. Maybe his engine speed was set too high.
Can't really blame him for being agravated when the dealer shruggs his shoulders and says it operator error.

B

Berniep

Yaay!!!
Her we are in the ferris forum!
Too bad he got mad a left.
Some folks are just not compatible with message boards.

twall

twall

Yaay!!!
Her we are in the ferris forum!
Too bad he got mad a left.
Some folks are just not compatible with message boards.

Once again, I don't think he wanted to stay, he just got enough suggestions, and then vanished, like too many people who don't have the time enough to look at the whole site, even - say nothing of the right forum. Too bad Muhammad wasn't around when this thread started, and I would've not posted past the first one.

It's not I was being a jerk. I know it looked that way. His thread would've got noticed a lot more up in the site where all the action is. Just like you were saying, Berniep - hardly anyone goes down there (except hardcore forum junkies like me). When I get ignored after making a sensible suggestion, I can get outa line. I know that. I'm not being authoritarian; it's just the way forums work, and like it or lump it, I am a contributing member. So, I have as much say as anyone. As anyone has the right to tell me what a jerk I am.

The better organized a forum is, the more useful it is for the information it may contain therin. This is a forum, and what you post in it will be searchable for years to come. So, the more sensible that the threads are, the easier it will be to find an answer to your problem (and related topics in the same sub forum) - even if you are googling us.

Sorry - that's the last I'll say about it.

Jetblast

Jetblast

I can see that, twall.

How did this topic get moved? I suspect sorcery.

B

Berniep

Once again, I don't think he wanted to stay, he just got enough suggestions, and then vanished, like too many people who don't have the time enough to look at the whole site, even - say nothing of the right forum. Too bad Muhammad wasn't around when this thread started, and I would've not posted past the first one.

It's not I was being a jerk. I know it looked that way. His thread would've got noticed a lot more up in the site where all the action is. Just like you were saying, Berniep - hardly anyone goes down there (except hardcore forum junkies like me). When I get ignored after making a sensible suggestion, I can get outa line. I know that. I'm not being authoritarian; it's just the way forums work, and like it or lump it, I am a contributing member. So, I have as much say as anyone. As anyone has the right to tell me what a jerk I am.

The better organized a forum is, the more useful it is for the information it may contain therin. This is a forum, and what you post in it will be searchable for years to come. So, the more sensible that the threads are, the easier it will be to find an answer to your problem (and related topics in the same sub forum) - even if you are googling us.

Sorry - that's the last I'll say about it.

I dont think he understood the fact that this was started in a forum that doesn't get read by very many people. Even though we both tried to explain it. Plus you are right I dont think he ever intended to reply even if he did find a solution.
Personally I always go back to a forum after I find an answer to a question I asked even if I never got any replies just so someone searching on the same problem will have a solution

B

Berniep

Jetblast said:
I can see that, twall.

Obvious wizardry of the highest order.

K

KennyV

All in good time... There is usually no urgency in moving these things around. As Muhammad comes across something that could be better served in another spot ... it's moved, never any problem...

I'm sure ALLEDAR will be posting back when he solves this problem. :smile:KennyV