Export thread

Fastest way to cut .37 acre lot

G

goodbar

Hi All - I'm new here, and just built a new house. The yard is quite a bit larger than my old house, so not sure if my old 21" craftsman mower will 'cut it' :)

Any recommendations on a small, cheap rider or wide area walk behind to help speed things up? I am not mechanical at all, so used may not be a good option. My yard has no trees, and easy landscaping to mow around. The yard has what I would call a very, very slight slope.

Thanks in advance!

goodbar

djdicetn

djdicetn

Hi All - I'm new here, and just built a new house. The yard is quite a bit larger than my old house, so not sure if my old 21" craftsman mower will 'cut it' :)

Any recommendations on a small, cheap rider or wide area walk behind to help speed things up? I am not mechanical at all, so used may not be a good option. My yard has no trees, and easy landscaping to mow around. The yard has what I would call a very, very slight slope.

Thanks in advance!

goodbar

Welcome to the forums!!! Sooooo, how much of your money can we spend:0)
We would buy a Toro TimeMaster or or Honda HRR/HRX if we've got an unlimited amount to spend....but with you just building a new home that's probably not what you had in mind. Tell us how much is in your budget and we will try to give you some recommendations.

reynoldston

reynoldston

You should be able to buy a good new riding mower from 1500 to 2000 dollars. Brand really doesn't matter that much in that price range.

G

goodbar

Yes, totally forgot to mention budget.. I'd like to keep it under $1000; although those Snapper rear riders caught my eye. Sounds like they are common enough where I could get a used one serviced if need be. Just not sure how much of a slope they can handle.

Carscw

Carscw

Yes, totally forgot to mention budget.. I'd like to keep it under $1000; although those Snapper rear riders caught my eye. Sounds like they are common enough where I could get a used one serviced if need be. Just not sure how much of a slope they can handle.

I have used all types of mowers and as far as slopes or hills go I think you would be very happy with a used snapper rer

Any rider that your going to get new for $1000 or less you will not be happy with

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

A

afoulk

That's the way I would go if you want a rider. You can find them on Craigslist all day for $300 in running condition. Even cheaper if they don't run. Theres plenty of how to's and manuals available online that you should be able to rebuild a carb on one that isn't running. Their really quite simple and easy to work on, just have to take your time and be careful. Make it a winter project:thumbsup:

djdicetn

djdicetn

I don't know about a dependable rider for < $1K, but you could definitely get into a self-propelled Toro 20199 Timemaster 30" Mower or a Honda HRX217HZA 21" Mower for that kind of money(both top quality machines).

reynoldston

reynoldston

A used mower is fine, but buyer beware. You buy a used 300 dollar mower and you can spend another 500 fixing it unless you do your own repairs. Why not spend a little more, even if you have to barrow the money and get something that will last for future years if cared for. If you do buy used get a good name mower like snapper.

Carscw

Carscw

In your case I would spent the grand on a used snapper then you won't have to worry about it

G

goodbar

How does this look?

riding lawn mower

G

goodbar

Carscw

Carscw

This looks good all but the front tire is flat and off the rim. Bet he will go $500

A

afoulk

This looks good all but the front tire is flat and off the rim. Bet he will go $500

I agree:thumbsup:

Carscw

Carscw

Now this one is nice Well worth $625
I would offer $550 but would pay the $625

metz12

metz12

when i read this post i thought immediately thought of a snapper rear engine rider. they are perfect for that size. i would like to get one myself because i like the look of the cut. also easy to work on.(or make one go fast!) you could probably ask around your friends and probably find someone that knows how to work on small engines. its nothing a regular automotive mechanic couldnt handle.

exotion

exotion

Under 1k I would spend the money on a nice walk behind 21" a decent weed eater and a blower

L

LoCo86

I agree with exotion. A yard that is .37 acres is not a lot to care for. Especially is you have little or no obstacles to mow around. You're looking at 30-40 minutes from start to finish. I wouldn't spend my entire budget on one piece of new equipment when you can get several. On top of that I believe you will spend more time mowing with the snapper rear engine rider. Unless you mow in circles. Just my opinion.

metz12

metz12

I agree with exotion. A yard that is .37 acres is not a lot to care for. Especially is you have little or no obstacles to mow around. You're looking at 30-40 minutes from start to finish. I wouldn't spend my entire budget on one piece of new equipment when you can get several. On top of that I believe you will spend more time mowing with the snapper rear engine rider. Unless you mow in circles. Just my opinion.

you never know, the guy might not want to push mow his yard. i would rather ride then push a lawn any day. plus you dont have to mow in "circles" you make straight lines then you turn. then you go straight again. it works trust me. and if you get a mower at 500-600, that gives you room to get a good trimmer and blower and still come in budget.

L

LoCo86

metz12, you could be right. I don't know the mans physical conditioning so a rider may be his only option. But taking from the details from his initial statement he has used a 21" mower in the past. As far as mowing in circles, no one with any type of mower has to go in circles as long as they have a reverse. But he is looking for the fastest way to mow this small yard. Finally to the $1000 budget. Instead of getting a used mower he could acquire everything new. He made it clear that he would not be able to work on any used machines. So as long as he is not in terrible physical shape including having lazy bones in his body then a 21" would be the fastest and most cost effective way to approach this particular yard.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

metz12, you could be right. I don't know the mans physical conditioning so a rider may be his only option. But taking from the details from his initial statement he has used a 21" mower in the past. As far as mowing in circles, no one with any type of mower has to go in circles as long as they have a reverse. But he is looking for the fastest way to mow this small yard. Finally to the $1000 budget. Instead of getting a used mower he could acquire everything new. He made it clear that he would not be able to work on any used machines. So as long as he is not in terrible physical shape including having lazy bones in his body then a 21" would be the fastest and most cost effective way to approach this particular yard.

I agree! :thumbsup:

metz12

metz12

even though he said he wanted a rider. personally if i were to be mowing the lawn i could probably do the lawn in the same amount of time with a push mower or a ride on. and also, there are alot of people that know how to work on small engines. its nothing an automotive mechanic cant handle. also there are vocational schools that teach small engines, where you normally dont have to pay for labor. also i see many people with signs that say small engine repair on the side of the road. and one more thing.t there are so many resources on how to fix something like this forum, or youtube. getting something new doesnt always mean that it is not going to break down. the only thing i did with my yard machines change the fuel filter and the air filter and the oil. and the motion drive belt on my craftsman. and put a new bushing on the steering shaft. with a push mower you are also going to run into mechanical issues. not just ride ons.

L

LoCo86

True with any machine big or small you will have trouble with it. No matter weather you keep it well maintained or not. The resources to solve these problems you run into are unlimited these days. Not only with social media but with local tradesmen in your area. But when you buy new with this type of budget you get warranties, receipts and if bought from a dealer you get their support. If you can find something in the price range that has these three items coupled together you are in a guaranteed winning situation. No matter if you have problems in the future after the warranty expires or the return period has passed from the date on the receipt. You always have the dealer.

H

Howdy Doody

You can find all kinds of rider mower deals on Craigslist, just have to be patient and will likely have to go look at a few of them before you make a decision. If you have a buddy or know anyone who is more mechanically inclined than yourself and even better if they know mowers, bring them with you. Even if the mower looks clean, it could be that it is being sold for a reason. I person that knows his stuff can tell if the mower is in good condition just by the sound of the mower engine and the deck and second by the overall condition (Rust). Some people will sell their riders just because they move to smaller houses or they want to upgrade to a zero turn.

MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan

An old 30" Dixon would be ideal for that small yard and are easy to find in good shape on Craigslist for $500 or $600.

Larry