Fan rubbing

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
FD501V-CS00
E/No FD501V061146

For some reason, this fan (just below the radiator) had one fin that had dropped down, like it got hot. And was rubbing on the fan shroud. All the others were fine. No drooping at all. So I heated it up and bent it back up, so it wouldn't hit.

Question is, is this going to work? I didn't heat it up enough to burn the plastic. I kept my finger wedged under it while heating, until I felt it give. Then held it in place until it cooled.

Here the fan blade.
1710891377549.jpeg

Attachments

• 1710891082927.jpeg
    1710891082927.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Bertrrr

Threads
No downside to anything you've done, It may happen again since it's been bent once already.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check air flow from the fan down and beyond to across the head and spark plug . Sometimes there is a restriction between engine and shroud .

txmowman

Threads
Who’s to say whether it will work long term. What caused the warpage in the first place and could the plastic be fatigued enough. Hard to say. A fan blade breaking is not unheard of. If it were my 28 y/o engine, I wouldn’t take the chance. A replacement fan is much cheaper than a radiator.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Comments like this happen when commenters don't bother to look up the engines or know what they are talking about. This is a water cooled engine. The fan damage is from over heating, most likely the engine has been ran low on water or has a clogged radiator; so I would make sure the radiator fins are all clear as the air is usually drawn in thru the radiator and blown out the air duct. Usually there is a screen place over the radiator but dirt and dust still can clog it. Clogged cooling radiator fins can cause a lot extra heat as air flow is highly restricted.

I did a Walker Stand on mower last year that the hydraulic radiator was clogged with dirt. On this setup the radiator is directly over the engine cooling fan. With it clogged the engine fan and shroud both melted they stuck together.

And the 59041-2063 fan is listed at $40, but going rate seems to be $45.

Last edited:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
And you're not very good with criticism . Improve your vocabulary .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably never had a coolant dump either.

So how is the blade balance now? Rubbing can remove material. Bending blades can change things as well.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And you're not very good with criticism . Improve your vocabulary .
I could solve the problem of me sometimes leaving a word or two out by just stop posting all together.

Besides don't I see anything much wrong with the following if you read the whole thread instead of nitpicking. So I didn't quote the previous post by you as you should have been able to lookup the IPL for the engine and knew that the engine was a water cooled unit.
Comments like this happen when commenters don't bother to look up the engines or know what they are talking about.
With this I think I take a month or two off from posting on this forum. Maybe I can break the habit of even viewing the forum besides I am getting to busy to care anymore for a while.

Bertrrr

Threads
I only try and help and think I usually do. Anyone posting here for help will take advise for what it's worth.
I have no access to technical manuals etc. Only from experience.
No need to bad mouth anyone here.