Extra Set of Scalp Wheels for my JD D125

Howdy Doody

Threads
Similar issue for me - it would come down to local dealer support. The Cub dealer is a 5-minute walk away from my workplace (and has a huge inventory of new & used parts), so I can easily stop there during my lunch break, while the nearest Deere dealers to me are both about 1 - 1.5 hours' drive (depending upon traffic) away.

Makes sense to me. I still have not heard from anyone if they have ever added an extra set of wheels to a John Deere 42" deck? Anyone?

redmondjp

Threads
Makes sense to me. I still have not heard from anyone if they have ever added an extra set of wheels to a John Deere 42" deck? Anyone?
I have not done it myself but have read a lot of threads on it. If you go to Amazon.com and search in 'Patio, Lawn & Garden' category for "mower deck wheel kit" you can see some of the choices available.

There is the Poulan Pro GWN42 wheel kit, as well as the Arnold OEM-190-183 kit. Both of these kits include two wheels and the brackets. You may have to do some slight bending/shimming/fabricating with additional steel in order to make these fit your deck perfectly.

How handy are you? Do you have any metal fabrication skills and/or equipment? If you can bend a piece of metal and drill holes in it, you can probably just order the wheel and an axle bolt, and have a series of holes drilled to set the height. Paint bracket with Deere yellow which is available in a rattle can.

Or, if you have used mower parts available, you could find a rusted-out deck at a mower repair shop or dealer and harvest a set of wheels and brackets off of it.

Howdy Doody

Threads
I have not done it myself but have read a lot of threads on it. If you go to Amazon.com and search in 'Patio, Lawn & Garden' category for "mower deck wheel kit" you can see some of the choices available.

There is the Poulan Pro GWN42 wheel kit, as well as the Arnold OEM-190-183 kit. Both of these kits include two wheels and the brackets. You may have to do some slight bending/shimming/fabricating with additional steel in order to make these fit your deck perfectly.

How handy are you? Do you have any metal fabrication skills and/or equipment? If you can bend a piece of metal and drill holes in it, you can probably just order the wheel and an axle bolt, and have a series of holes drilled to set the height. Paint bracket with Deere yellow which is available in a rattle can.

Or, if you have used mower parts available, you could find a rusted-out deck at a mower repair shop or dealer and harvest a set of wheels and brackets off of it.

I think either one would work on the non-discharge side, just not sure if there is room between the chute and the rear wheels. I was thinking about the harvest idea too, just not sure if there are any mower "bone yards" anywhere between Houston and Dallas.

Howdy Doody

Threads
I think either one would work on the non-discharge side, just not sure if there is room between the chute and the rear wheels. I was thinking about the harvest idea too, just not sure if there are any mower "bone yards" anywhere between Houston and Dallas.

Checked this weekend and there is no room on the discharge side to put an extra set of wheels on the deck. So, I guess I will just have to be careful on the turns. Either way, I am mowing on the highest setting which is 4 and this seems to work good for me.

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Checked this weekend and there is no room on the discharge side to put an extra set of wheels on the deck. So, I guess I will just have to be careful on the turns. Either way, I am mowing on the highest setting which is 4 and this seems to work good for me.

Glad to hear. Certainly, our biggest problems may have the simplest of solutions.
Cutting at high settings also makes for a much healthier and greener lawn.
Which is the reason we do all of this!