Expired Security Certificate

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
According to Firefox the security certificate expired on the 13th and it will not connect to the site because it can not make a secure connection
Checked & I can connect via the smart phone but have no intention of going blind.
Used an old web browser that does not have security featires to connect now & make thos post.
IS this correct, has the certificate expired or is it that firefox can not recognise the old certificate ?
There does not seem to be many posts since the 13th

tadawson

Threads
Nope, they borked it, just as the sister site snowblowerforums.com did a bit earlier this year.

Firefox, thinks that they are smarter than their users - any other browser will allow you to bypass the warning and go to the site . . . no mobile required . . .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Went back and double checked and the certificate from "Lets Encrypt" is in fact expired.
Not an "I am smarter than you" situation SSL's are very important .
Not particularly necessary for this site as things like credit card details are not sent back & forth .
It is done for the protection of the general public to prevent spoofing and as the general public are pig ignorant about most things on the web not a bad idea that Mozilla decided not to allow you to bypass the security lock out.
It is THIS FORUM that requires the web browser to use SSL's which is a good idea .
If you use auto fill & auto log in then all those passwords are stored in your browser .
IE will not allow the user to access these files but other web site can, so all that stuff like bank log ins and government department log ins is stored in there waiting to be access by thieves.
Cyber fraud was the single biggest thieft crime in dollar valve for the past 10 years and has been expanding at an increasing rate every year as computers become more powerful .
I use manual log in on everything as there is a lesser chance of some one breaking inot the house &/or workshop opening the diary where they are written down and understanding the cypher I use to code them.
Then the modem has a firewall and the router has another firewall.
People call me paranoid but particularly now I can not afford to loose everything in my bank accounts .
Already had that happen 40 years ago & it took 13 years to get the stolen money back.
Even then it was not a failure in my security, it was a professional card laundering gang in cohoots with criminals in the bank which allowed them to change my password then systematically draw the maximun allowable cash out on the card then repay that from the bank account then pull the maximum cash out from the card continually till every cent I had was gone.
I could not understand why the bank fought me tooth and nail till I found out I was one of several thousand customers this had happened to and the bank ( or their insurer ) was looking at paybacks in the billions and this was in the 70's when a billion was a lot of money.

The reason for this post originally was to alert those in power that the certificate was not current and to double check it was not my browser.
I use old computers & old browsers as all of the security holes in them have beed found & patched where as new systems are full of holes yet to be uncovered.
A tip I got from an IT profession who specializes in cyber security.
However it is old and uses 32 bit where as most new stuff is 64 bit so there are quite a few things it can not resolve because it can not decode them .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I couldn't access this site with Silk browser (comes on the Amazon tablets)
Or Chrome or Firefox.even Microsoft Edge browser.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes ,
I had to use an old copy of Safari on an old box running OS 10.1 to bypass the expired certificate.
Happens fairly regularly .
I see it more than most in the USA as the certificates generally expire on midnight in the time zone of the server.
And of course we are ahead of the USA so while you & I will be trying to connect at exactly the same instant , you get in & I get locked out because it is tomorrow where I am and the browser uses the time of the time zone it is set to.
Thus it says to the server, "High I am Bert here in OZ it is 6 am can I connect ?" and the server replies "well the certificate expired at midnight so bugger off ".
The frightening thing was the smart phone could connect so it does not use SSL's and thus it explaines why I am forever getting spam where my email address has been hacked out of the phone of some one who has me in their address book.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've wondered some why this site would even have a HTTPS url in the first place? Not much high security here talking about lawn mowers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Professions data thieves set up a fake site.
SO you log on to what you think is this forum and in fact you have logged into the data mining site and it then logs into the forum.
So it sits between your computer and the real site.
So while you are on line the mining site does stuff like pinch all of your personel details off your computer.
It also downloads your address book and sell all of the email addresses to people who send spam.
Depending upon how secure you computer is it can also install remote monitoring & control apps so when you are asleep it uses your computer to relay thousands of spam emails or to become part of a denial of service attack.
Once they have finished using your computer the details are sold on to lower order criminals and you become a zombie.
It is very big business.
Now days most of the efforts go into face book because the picking are a lot more valuable there .

Using a SSL makes sure that your computer is talking directly to this forum and is there for your safety.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I couldn't access this site with Silk browser (comes on the Amazon tablets)
Or Chrome or Firefox.even Microsoft Edge browser.

Same here man.. No Joy. Fox said NO.

But this does seem to happen here every so often..