Expanding

smitts961

Threads
I am 16 and will be getting my license soon. I have 8 yards that I mow now. I was considering trying to expand my business for next mowing season and was wondering what steps I should do to expand. I would love to get as many yards as I could. I know I would need to upgrade my equipment. But besides that fact, how should I go about getting more customers? Thanks for replies in advance.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am 16 and will be getting my license soon. I have 8 yards that I mow now. I was considering trying to expand my business for next mowing season and was wondering what steps I should do to expand. I would love to get as many yards as I could. I know I would need to upgrade my equipment. But besides that fact, how should I go about getting more customers? Thanks for replies in advance.

I would use flyers and stick with your neighborhood for now if you make your own they are in expensive if you hand out 2 or 3 hundred you are sure to get at least a few calls

edd

Threads
word of mouth has brought me more customers than advertising .....

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

If you want to advertise do it for FREE get 250 free business cards from VISTA PRINT and just leave the cards in the doorways in the area you want to work. get a few clients and let word of mouth do the rest.

http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/default.aspx?dr=1&GP=5/28/2013+2:39:03+PM&GPS=2851309144&GNF=1

Threads

I work in a neighborhood with around 130 houses in it. In 2 years I have gotten over 45 of the houses as customers either short-term or long-term and currently mow 14 lawns a week. Now that the vacation season is coming I will have more. :thumbsup: I use flyers and a yard sign as advertising methods, but by now word-of-mouth helps the most.

grassmoney123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was your age when i started. I packed 1 pushmower, 1 backpack blower, and 1 trimmer in the back of my bronco and did 4 different yards a day. Here is what I learned.

1.) Let them know your young and just trying to make an extra dollar while you are in school, they eat that kind of stuff up. You will have some customers be more receptive to that idea, than a pro, while others will want a pro

2.) Work your butt off in the neighborhood, neighbors will notice. I also use to put a professionally made sign on my truck while i was out on some jobs. I would get phone calls such as, "I was walking my dog and saw your sign and typed your number in my phone, I saw you working very hard and was seeing if you would mow my lawn"

3.) If your serious about doing this for a while, splurg a bit for some good equipment (RedMax, Husqvarna, Ybravo)

smitts961

Threads
Thanks for all the replies. I acutally just picked up another yard today because the neighbor next door to a yard I do was tired of waiting for over a month for the previous guy to cut it and she liked my work. Also looking into some new equipment at the moment:thumbsup: