EXmark Turf Tracer problem

pfestus1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I'm having a sudden onset problem with my 2005 (I think) ExMark Turf Tracer hydro, 48" walk behind. I bought it used last fall, and have been happy with it, except that this spring it has been hard to start. A short spritz of starting fluid and it is up and running and does well after the first start. Then the other day, after a day of mowing on my property it suddenly lost power, and was not spinning the blades at full speed, like maybe a rope got tangled up in the blades, but upon checking, no blade obstruction. Restarted the mower, and it backfired, popped, blew some black smoke, and wouldn't get up to full speed. The mower has not been used commercially, I only mow my large slopped yard, and previous owner only mowed his property (so the dealer told me). I cleaned fuel supply checking for water, found none, replace fuel filter and air filter, and no change. Dealer said probalby valves. So what would make the valves go bad? Cutting on a slope? Ethenol? The engine is a 17 hp Kawasaki twin. I have it at a shop now, but have not gotten a diagnosis. Just thought I'd see what folks here might think. Thanks for any help, opinions, suggestions.
Hank
Floyd, VA