Exmark Quest Briggs 24 hsp engine

jmrollans

Threads
I have an Exmark Quest that is having starting issues. When I turn the key to start all i hear is a clicking sound, thought the starter was bad, changed it and have the same issue, replaced the starter solenoid, nope same issue. Checked the voltage on the battery, dropped from 12.9 to 7.8 when i turn key, replaced the battery thought had a bad cell, not the problem still have same issue. I feel like i am chasing my tail now and not getting anywhere! any help would be appreicated!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First please don't double post. Second we need the real model and serial numbers from the serial tag to look up things as there is close 40 different Quest mowers.

Now that you spent a lot on buying a starter, starter solenoid, and a battery. It is time to back up and do some real testing instead of just throw parts at the problem.

jmrollans

Threads
sorry didnt know i was double posting, ill get the serial # tag and repost this.

jmrollans

Threads
here is the model and serial number of my mower QST24BE522, 731614

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
here is the electrical diagrams for this mower.
1702313961052.png

Electric Logic Diagram
1702314038406.png

Now the positive battery cable is not shown but would be connected to Start solenoid B+ terminal.

Is starter solewnoid connected correctly and operating when you try to start? IF so is there any voltage at the starter terminal to engine crankcase?

jmrollans

Threads
here is the electrical diagrams for this mower.
View attachment 67448

Electric Logic Diagram
View attachment 67449

Now the positive battery cable is not shown but would be connected to Start solenoid B+ terminal.

Is starter solewnoid connected correctly and operating when you try to start? IF so is there any voltage at the starter terminal to engine crankcase?

jmrollans

Threads
yes the solenoid is connected as per the diagram. when i try to start there is voltage at the starter when the key is turned.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Check for a grounding issue as if the starter has voltage then it should operate unless you are checking from its positive post to the battery negative post.

Try doing a point to point voltage drop tests to pin point the voltage is being lost at.

jmrollans

Threads
ok will do that tonight and report back.