exmark metro 26 governor issues

jbwilli

Forum Newbie
Threads
I inherited my father in-law's Exmark Metro 26 self propelled walk behind with Kawasaki 4.5/5 hp FJ180V engine. I have adjusted the governor per service manual.
(Turned top of gov arm ccw and gov shaft ccw and locked). Prior to start, the throttle butterfly sits at half throttle position (not closed to idle stop). The throttle control at handle works fine and moves easily and as it should from... STOP (cutoff circuit at control assy is grounded), to MID throttle, to FULL throttle and all the way to CHOKE (WOT). The governor arm/shaft moves freely (in about 10 degree arc). The Control assembly moves freely via the cable control on handle, and all springs/arms are connected properly. Still, the throttle butterfly remains at half throttle static prior to cranking, even with handle control set to OFF! I can easily rotate the throttle butterfly connection to closed idle with only a little spring resistance. Upon start (control at handle set to mid throttle), the engine goes to WIDE OPEN THROTTLE! Unless the governor shaft/arm turns clockwise upon start (flyweights out), and moves the throttle control butterfly closed to the idle stop, I see no way it can idle! Is my governor the assy bad? Help, I am pulling my hair out over this. Thanks for any comments! ps: I have the Choke model!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 12.29.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 12.29.49 PM.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

jbwilli

Forum Newbie
Threads
*** UPDATE *** I removed and replaced this carb/control assy and governor arm 3 or 4 times and every time it went to WIDE OPEN THROTTLE after reinstall. This last time, I meticulously disassembled the Control Assy and ensured all those moving plates moved freely. I wrote the post above before cranking it 'one more time', as I "ASSUMED" it would fail and go to WOT again, when I saw the throttle butterfly would not move to the the idle stop regardless of throttle control at handle setting. I was wrong! Upon cranking, the throttle responded perfectly to the throttle lever on the handle!I So, I now assume my Control Assy plates were binding and would not allow the governor commands to move the throttle rod/spring and allow the throttle butterfly to close when set to Idle. ALL IS GOOD NOW! I cannot wait to see how this little beast of mower will perform on my steep hill side banks of my yard!