Exmark Lazer Z XS diesel spin on element

shoughtonh

Threads
Does anyone know if the spin on element fuel system component on the diesels need to be changed w any regularity? Its not on the parts schematic and its not mentioned in the service section for Exmark but there is a replacement part available. Is that just in case it gets damaged somehow?

shoughtonh

Threads
not that one. its 109-3117. can also be found on ebay

shoughtonh

Threads
thanks i have all the manuals available for my model. What im wondering is about servicing/changing it. There is no reference to that part in the service

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
That's pretty odd. Might call a exmark dealer, or Exmark themselves and see if you can find out.

shoughtonh

Threads
yeah i agree. if nothing bubbles up here, ill follow up w someone at Exmark

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, the spin-on fuel filter will have a regular replacement interval. Check with both the mower and the engine manufacturer to see which one has the more stringent change interval.

Here's the one you mentioned. It looks like it's been superceded by p/n 63-8300. Any good auto parts store or online vendor can probably cross reference it for you.

If you've never changed a diesel fuel filter before, read up on it. Diesels can be very hard to get re-started if you let air get in the system when changing the filter.

The change interval is probably longer than you expect. The first symptom of when a diesel fuel filter really needs replaced is a loss of power. Don't wait that long.

This price is closer to being right than the $47 filter.

1610717420615.png

shoughtonh

Threads
thanks for the reply. I would have thought it needed regular service and im surprised there is no reference to doing just that in the manuals. I emailed Exmark Service this am. Will be curious to see what they say.

Born2Mow

Threads
I am not familiar with this mower, but I have worked on various diesels a lot. I would say that "Yes" the filter needs changing, but maybe not for the reason you might think. Yes, there are particles that need filtering, but more importantly these filters usually catch water too. And it's the water that represents the more pressing issue.