Excessive oil use

Coffield

Member
I have a Husqvarna YTH2348 mower with a Model 440000 23 HP Intel engine.
The engine runs great with more then enough power but will use about 8 to 10 ounces of oil in about 1.5 hours of running time. The engine has about 145 psi on both cylinders and appears to be using only on the right cylinder also the oil is very black and you can change it and after an hour of use it is very black again.
Any options as to what my problem can be. Could it be a head gasket?

Thanks Ray
 
I would agree with you that you have a blown head gasket. Pull both plugs, if one is black, that is the cylinder I would be checking first.
 
Yes the oil has been changed every 50 hours along with the filter.
The valves are adjusted to B&S spec. I pulled the right head today no evidence of a blowen gasket.
The right side is the cylinder that i have to keep changing plugs on.

Thanks for the input.
Thinking it is in the rings now.
Ray
 
After repairing a few things today I mowed for about 90 minutes and the oil leave was down to the add mark.

Replaced both head gaskets and the crankcase vent.

Any ideas guys.
 
Back
Top