Ethanol in gas for mowers- is it really bad?

rigoletto

Threads
I heard typical gas station unleaded, has up to 10% ethanol, and its the worst thing for small engines, particularly mower engines. man, is that what has been my problem for years, every 2 or so years I have to dismantle and clean out my carbs? They say the ethanol "congeals", and clogs orfices in the carbs. Is this baloney, people??

That the best alternative is to get ethanol free gas, or add "stabilizer", which "coats" the orfices in the carbs and keeps them from clogging. Sounds like "too good to be true".

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Ethanol is bad for all types of engines. But there is a power equipment shop near where I live and they sell ethanol-free gas.

Ethanol attracts water from the air, it is then absorbed into engine components. When ethanol breaks down sludge in fuel tanks, instead on breaking down sludge completely, the sludge is still not broken down and it clogs carburetors, injectors, and fuel filters. More than 10% ethanol will REALLY damage your engine.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I heard typical gas station unleaded, has up to 10% ethanol, and its the worst thing for small engines, particularly mower engines. man, is that what has been my problem for years, every 2 or so years I have to dismantle and clean out my carbs? They say the ethanol "congeals", and clogs orfices in the carbs. Is this baloney, people??

That the best alternative is to get ethanol free gas, or add "stabilizer", which "coats" the orfices in the carbs and keeps them from clogging. Sounds like "too good to be true".

What octane gas are you running in your mowers? I don't believe that ethanol gas is bad to run your mower engine. I've been running top tier ethanol gas in my mowers and equipment for years and never had an issue with anything.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
What octane gas are you running in your mowers? I don't believe that ethanol gas is bad to run your mower engine. I've been running top tier ethanol gas in my mowers and equipment for years and never had an issue with anything.

I run less than 10% ethanol in my equipment. You shouldn't run over 10% in equipment unless the owner's manual states you can run over 10% ethanol.

Does the canned gas they sell at Lowe's and Home Depot and other stores have ethanol in it?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I run less than 10% ethanol in my equipment. You shouldn't run over 10% in equipment unless the owner's manual states you can run over 10% ethanol.

Does the canned gas they sell at Lowe's and Home Depot and other stores have ethanol in it?

Most of the canned gas is 92 or 93 octane and is mix and doesn't contain Ethanol. IMO $32.00 a Gallon for mix is a bit much. HD price that is. if you buy from a dealer could be more. As long as you run the top tier 93 octane you shouldn't have any problems with gas from the pump.

rigoletto

Threads
Thanks. But this "top tier" thing- hate to say it, but Im very suspicious about top tier concept. All gas in a specified octane is the same(except for the added ethanol), comes from the same pipeline from Texas, ends up in southeast, and one way up in NJ somewhare. All trucks fill up at the terminals, and then they "brand" it.

Still, my manual says use 87 octane, so why should I use 93? Like using 93 octane in a car that specifies 87. Roads are full of people puting in 93 octane "high test" , when they are doing nothing "better" to their cars even though their cars specify 87.

all posts appreciated, as the more the better.

rigoletto

Threads

This, is Comforting to know. Even if the issue of using 87 octane is unresolved. Thanks.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
This, is Comforting to know. Even if the issue of using 87 octane is unresolved. Thanks.

Issue of using 87 octane is unresolved? Maybe not for you but it is for me.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Most of the canned gas is 92 or 93 octane and is mix and doesn't contain Ethanol. IMO $32.00 a Gallon for mix is a bit much. HD price that is. if you buy from a dealer could be more. As long as you run the top tier 93 octane you shouldn't have any problems with gas from the pump.

I run Sunoco 93 octane in all my equipment.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Thanks. But this "top tier" thing- hate to say it, but Im very suspicious about top tier concept. All gas in a specified octane is the same(except for the added ethanol), comes from the same pipeline from Texas, ends up in southeast, and one way up in NJ somewhare. All trucks fill up at the terminals, and then they "brand" it.

Still, my manual says use 87 octane, so why should I use 93? Like using 93 octane in a car that specifies 87. Roads are full of people puting in 93 octane "high test" , when they are doing nothing "better" to their cars even though their cars specify 87.

all posts appreciated, as the more the better.

All my older Chevy/GMC trucks, SUVs Blazers, and Camaros run on 93 octane.

All with small block or big block Chevy's