Epic Fail of Handle Lock Knob to adjust/raise/lower the handle on New HRN216 Models

mikenilson

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Epic Fail of Handle Lock Knob to adjust/raise/lower the handle on New HRN216 Models
So I just purchased the HRN216VKA model Lawn Mower. The day I got it I assembled it, started it up and made 3 quick passes on my lawn to see its performance. I then moved the handle lock knobs to lower the handle. I folded the handle down and put the mower in my shed. Yesterday when I went to use the mower I raised the handle to lock into position, turned one of the lock knobs to lock it and it popped of! it is spring loaded so the parts went flying. I managed to find them all and put it back together. I used the mower briefly and went to put it away and the lock knob popped off again. It turns out that this year for this model only (HRN) they went with a lock knob that uses a push nut on the end of the spring loaded push pin. All other new model Honda mowers (HRX) use the same coiled pin through the knob and metal pin design (Honda 06530-VL0-315ZA Adjuster Kit) that has been used in all the older models from the past few years (HRR,HRX). This “new” design lock knob on my model has me baffled? It is a poor design and will fail more frequently because of it. I like most people probably move the handle up and down for storage every time they mow so it will break in a short amount of time. I called Honda and they said I have to take it to a Honda repair shop. I called the closest one and they said I would have to leave the mower there while they ordered parts (it is a new model of mower so they had no idea how long that would take). I asked if they could put the better lock knob on and they said “for a warranty repair they could only put on the part made for that mower”. How could Honda put all this thought and design into this new version of their mowers and use such a poorly designed part on the portion of the mower that will be utilized frequently? And only on the HRN Models? This is my first Honda mower and I really want to like it?
Edit: I ordered the better part 06530-VL0-315ZA from Amazon, when it comes I will put it on and give you the results.

Handle.jpg New Bad Design! 41S1LZkZw2L._AC_SR250,230_.jpgBetter Tried and Tested Design.

Last edited:
Reactions: de3

mikenilson

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Epic Fail of Handle Lock Knob to adjust/raise/lower the handle on New HRN216 Models
The part came and it works perfectly! I will buy one for the other side as well. I am at a loss as to why Honda would have changed a much better design for a frequently used item to a piece of junk!

Briantii

Threads
Great information! Who knows why Honda does this stuff sometimes. I just hope they really fixed the issues with pulling it backwards.

mikenilson

Forum Newbie
Threads
They have! When the drive handle is not engaged the mower moves backward and forward effortlessly!

Briantii

Threads
Thank you! I’m really hoping my bearing conversion keeps working... if not the HRN is on the shortlist.