Engine Swap to Kawasaki FJ180V or Briggs 875

nealf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Folks,
Recently decided to soup up my lawnmower engine.

As a result of spending hours reading about various engines and torque I am looking at replacing my Honda GCV-160 motor with either a Kawasaki FJ180V, Briggs 875 Pro or a Honda GXV190.

Now its my first time doing this so I have a few questions and was wondering if the gurus on here could assist a newbie with some advice. Initially I figured it'd be as simple as taking off the old one and putting in the new one but I have hit some roadblocks.

1. How do I know what engine model I need? For example with the Kawasaki the same exact engine comes in different models (FJ180V BS15 or FJ180V DS08 etc etc) and I figured the difference is this thing called "shaft diameter/size". With Briggs its the same thing I know I'd like the 121S05 engine (Briggs 875 Pro) but there is a 121S05-1590-F1 and then another one that is 121S05-0732-F1 and a whole slew of others) ... its just damn confusing!! I can't figure it out. :eek:

2. Apart from shaft size is there anything else I should watch out for or be aware off before I order a replacement motor??

I checked my deck and a couple of my friends Briggs 875 and they all seem to be bolted on with 3 bolts in a trangle spacing approx 6, 6.5 and 8 inches apart.

Sorry for the newbie questions but if someone would point me in the right direction it'd be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Neal