Engine swap; electric pto conversion.

Slimbonic

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've transplanted a 21hp briggs and stratton from a craftsman ltx1000 to a craftsman gt5000 with a blown kohler 25HP with an electric pto.
Everything matched up pretty well, other than a couple of electrical connections and the shaft pully set up.
The briggs and stratton has a 1" shaft vs the kohlers 1.25" shaft. Also, the kohler had an electric clutch. The briggs did not.
Now I am trying to retrofit a clutch onto the briggs 1" shaft, making sure to match the pulley sizes from the kohler.
Obviously, I can't use the kohler setup on the briggs because of the different shaft size.
But I am having to match up pulley size and location on shaft to ensure proper operation.
My question is can I install an electric clutch on this engine that previously did not have one? Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well what the model number from the serial number tag of the GT5000? Need it to see which PTO was used to try meet the specs.

Slimbonic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well what the model number from the serial number tag of the GT5000? Need it to see which PTO was used to try meet the specs.

The problems will be as you stated the shaft size and the charging system. You can put a sleeve over the crank shaft to make for the correct shaft size. The charging system will need to be probably a 10 amp system. https://www.amazon.com/small-engine-crankshaft-adapter/s?k=small+engine+crankshaft+adapter
I didn't even think of the charging system! Thanks man.
How do I determine the Amp output of the briggs?

Slimbonic

Forum Newbie
Threads
I only know it's a gt5000. 2011.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does the Briggs have a regulator on it and if so how many wires does it have? Does it bolt on with one bolt in the center of the regulator or two on the ends?

Slimbonic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does the Briggs have a regulator on it and if so how many wires does it have? Does it bolt on with one bolt in the center of the regulator or two on the ends?
I don't see a regulator. Just a black and red wire coming from the altenator.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well that pretty kills it using a PTO clutch until the charging system is upgraded. A 3 amp just doesn't cut it.

Personally trying to use 21 hp with a 48"or larger deck is really pushing it anyway.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is a 3 amp charging system and not enough to keep battery charge and run electric clutch. You can change it by putting the stator for the 10 regulated system and the 10-16 amp regulator on it.

Slimbonic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well that pretty kills it using a PTO clutch until the charging system is upgraded. A 3 amp just doesn't cut it.

Personally trying to use 21 hp with a 48"or larger deck is really pushing it anyway.
Well, that pretty much kills the dream! Lol ohh well. Thanks for your input. Sounds like I'll have to rebuild that kohler and save this briggs for a different tractor.
Thanks again y'all