Engine spins very slow

If you don't have time to have the battery load tested at least disconnect the mower's cable from the starter and jumper cable the starter from your pick up truck or a car that has a known good battery.

Your readings are too erratic to jump to conclusions at this point the starter is bad.
 
Took the battery to Advance Auto had it load tested -- battery tested good. Just pulled Starter off they said they could test it so will take it to them tomorrow.
 
If you lived closer we could determine determine both the starter and battery condition with my 1950s something sears amp meter while the starter was on the mower. I think it should draw around 150-175 amps. cranking the engine. When it goes to about 300 amps it's using all its got and then we start looking at valve lash for de-compression purposes and things like that.
 

Attachments

  • Amp meter 2012.jpg
    Amp meter 2012.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 10
[...]
....my 1950s something sears amp meter while the starter was on the mower. I think it should draw around 150-175 amps.

90 - 150.... on a good day, yeh.
That meter have multiplier connections at rear?

Pretty lookin' thang for it's age... same is said for
my Squeeze,,and she has worked all her adult years.
So it is possible :->
 
90 - 150.... on a good day, yeh.
That meter have multiplier connections at rear?

Pretty lookin' thang for it's age... same is said for
my Squeeze,,and she has worked all her adult years.
So it is possible :->

no connections. lay the wire in the channel. induction meter.

the charge function is not good for most mower alternator output. output too low. designed for automobiles.
 
no connections. lay the wire in the channel. induction meter.

the charge function is not good for most mower alternator output. output too low. designed for automobiles.

/drumming fingers on desk
I See I see....

I will think about posting a thread on "Front Porch" on
topic of analog meters, Old technology it still reinforces
basics in understanding procedures,
 
Talked to the repair shop that works on some of my equipment, after telling him everything that was going on and what I have checked said is sounds like motor needs a new camshaft.
 
Talked to the repair shop that works on some of my equipment, after telling him everything that was going on and what I have checked said is sounds like motor needs a new camshaft.

Okkeee...that don't compute with what you have posted.
But This is the InterWebs, come one come all.

Mind how you go...

/out
 
KrashnKraka,
What do you think computes with what I have posted? I have racked my brain of everything that I could think of that might be a possible problem. Oh by the way I forgot to post last night that the starter tested as good. Thanks for any imput.
 
KrashnKraka, What do you think computes with what I have posted? I have racked my brain of everything that I could think of that might be a possible problem. Oh by the way I forgot to post last night that the starter tested as good. Thanks for any imput.
I'm guessing he saw "camshaft" and thought it was one inside engine.

If you have a good repair shop that works on starters & alternators etc.
Have them rebuild your starter.
But 1st check and see how much for a new starter, rebuild might be about as much as a new one.
 
Back
Top